Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
These vegan sweet potato breakfast burritos can be prepared ahead of time and make a healthy and satisfying vegan breakfast option. They’re filled with sweet potato, tofu scramble, kale, vegan sausage and avocado but you can easily change it up to include things like salsa, vegan cheese, black beans, spinach or refried beans. Don’t feel like a burrito? Try them as sweet potato breakfast tacos or just throw everything in a bowl and dig in.
What to Put in Your Breakfast Burritos
The fun part! Deciding what to put in your sweet potato breakfast burritos. There are so many options. Here’s what went in mine:
- roasted sweet potato
- sautéed kale
- Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage
- tofu scramble
It was awesome but there are plenty of delish ways you could change it it up. How about:
- black beans instead of the sasuage, or add both
- homemade veggie patty instead of the sausage
- refried beans
- vegan cheese
- vegan sour cream, homemade or store-bought
- vegan ranch sauce
- cashew chipotle sauce
- chimmichurri sauce
- chickpea scramble instead of tofu scramble
- lettuce or spinach instead of kale
About Field Roast Sausage
I don’t buy these too often but they are really good and nice to have on occasion. The Mexican Chipotle one is delicious and the Apple Sage one is really good too. They actually have an Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage that sounds like it would be really good in this too but I’ve never tried that one.
I’m in Canada and I can always find the Mexican Chipotle and Apple Sage in my local grocery store. If you can’t find Field Roast, you can leave it out and add something like black beans or a veggie burger or try another brand such as Tofurky. Field Roast makes their sausage from vital wheat gluten so they’re soy-free and high in protein however they do contain gluten.
Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Burritos
To make these burritos, pop the sweet potato in the oven and while they cook, prep the tofu and kale. Once everything is ready either toss it all in a bowl or roll it up in your favourite tortilla and enjoy.
More Vegan Breakfast IdeasPrint
For the Roasted Sweet Potato
- 1 medium to large sweet potato, or more
- salt and pepper
- minimal drizzle of olive oil, I usually use about 1/2 tsp per potato
For the Tofu Scramble
- 1 package organic firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 cup water, plus more if it starts to dry out
For the Sautéed Kale
- 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- either water or a bit of oil to sauté
For the Burritos
- tortillas, gluten-free if needed
- 1/2 a Field Roast Sausage per person
- To Make the Roasted Sweet Potato. Pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees. Dice the sweet potato and place it on a parchment paper or silicone mat-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil and roast until tender, approximately 30-40 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and any other desired spices.
- To Make the Tofu Scramble. Crumble the tofu into a pan then add the rest of the ingredients and cook until the water is gone.
- To Make the Kale. Tear or chop the kale leaves away from the stems, finely chop then add to a pan and either saute in some water or olive oil until softened. Don’t overcook. You just want it slightly softened and a nice, dark green colour.
- To Assemble the Burritos. Add some roasted sweet potato, tofu scramble, kale, avocado and 1/2 a sliced vegan sausage to a tortilla and if desired salsa and/or vegan sour cream. Fold in two sides then roll it up to create a burrito. Either server immediately or wrap in foil and store in the fridge to be reheated later.
Keywords: meal prep, healthy, high-protein, vegetarian, wrap