Vegetarian Fajita Bowl
This vegetarian fajita bowl is easy to make in 40 minutes and an excellent option for meal prep or a healthy dinner any night of the week.
Why Make this Recipe
This vegetarian fajita rice bowl features “meaty” marinated mushrooms, seasoned fajita veggies and zesty lime rice for a flavourful dish that’s fun and easy to make!
If you’re looking for a tasty plant-based meal that’s healthy yet satisfying, you will love these fajita bowls!
They include fajita favourites like seasoned peppers, onions, and black beans and are also gluten-free, nut-free and vegan, so they work well for those with dietary restrictions.
They’re a delicious vegan twist on classic fajitas and are fun and easy to make in under 45 minutes!
These bowls are also easily customizable. You can swap the mushrooms for tofu, tempeh or lentils, try different grains and experiment with toppings like pico de gallo, guacamole and sour cream.
Try these tasty bowls for meal prep or make them for a healthy weeknight meal the whole family will enjoy.
- Ready in 40 minutes for a healthy meal.
- Easily customizable! Add your favourite fajita-inspired toppings and veggies.
- Vegetarian, vegan (dairy-free), nut-free, and easily gluten-free.
- Family-friendly and crowd-pleasing meatless option.
- Excellent meal prep recipe or some components can be prepped in advance for easy assembly.
Fajita Bowl Ingredients
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Uncooked rice: Use any variety of rice such as basmati rice, jasmine rice or brown rice. Other grains like quinoa also work.
- Portobello Mushrooms: The recipe calls for portobello mushrooms but if you can’t find any, you can use button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms.
- Spices: This recipe calls for chili powder, cumin, cayenne powder, and smoked paprika. To adjust the heat, you can add a bit more cayenne pepper. You can also use packaged fajita seasoning.
- Cilantro: If you don’t like cilantro, go ahead and omit it.
- Soy sauce: You’ll need soy sauce to make the marinade for the mushrooms. For a gluten-free option, use tamari or coconut aminos.
- Lime zest: You’ll need 1-2 limes to make enough zest, plus more for serving if desired.
- Bell Pepper: You’ll need 3 bell peppers in varying colours (they don’t have to be different colours but it’s more fun!).
- Onion: White onion, red onion or yellow onion is suitable.
- Green Onion: Also known as scallions. An optional topping!
- Black beans: Canned is fine for this recipe. Drain and rinse them before use.
- Avocados: Optional for serving.
- Toppings: Hot sauce and sour cream are optional but delicious toppings for your fajita bowls.
- Olive Oil: You’ll need a bit of oil for the marinade and the veggies. You can use a different vegetable or cooking oil if you like.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Additional seasoning for the mushroom marinade.
How to Make a Fajita Bowl
Step 1: Mix the Spices
Mix together all of your spices in a small bowl until well combined.
Step 2: Marinate the Mushrooms
Place ½ of the spice mixture in a large bowl with the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Mix thoroughly, removing any lumps.
Once everything is evenly mixed, add the sliced mushrooms. Coat them with the marinade, set them aside and allow them to marinate for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Cook the Rice
While the mushrooms are marinating, cook your rice according to package instructions, along with 1/2 tsp cumin.
Once the rice is finished cooking, fold in the lime zest. You can also mix in some finely chopped cilantro or save the cilantro for topping.
Step 4: Cook the Peppers & Onions
Cook the sliced peppers and onions in 2 tsp of olive oil, as well as the remainder of the spice mixture from earlier.
Cook them over medium heat in a large skillet or non-stick pan until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
Quick Tip: You could skip the oil here and just use a bit of water if you like.
Step 5: Broil the Mushrooms
Preheat the oven to broil (500 F).
When the peppers are almost ready, take the marinated mushrooms and lay them flat on a baking sheet. Place in the oven on broil for 2 minutes, remove from the oven and flip and broil for an additional 1 minute.
Step 6: Assemble your Fajita Bowls
When everything is cooked, you can start assembling your bowls! Evenly distribute each ingredient amongst 6 bowls.
Garnish with cilantro, green onions, and avocado. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or any other toppings you might enjoy.
Quick Tip: The recipe can make 4-6 bowls. If you’re making 6 bowls, increase the rice to 2 cups uncooked and include an extra avocado so you have half per bowl. Note that if you’re making these for meal prep to leave the avocado off until just before serving.
- Low-Carb Fajita Bowl: Use cauliflower rice instead of rice.
- Quinoa Fajita Bowl: Use quinoa instead of rice.
- Tofu Fajita Bowl: Toss cubed tofu in the mushroom marinade and bake for 20-25 minutes until crispy and browned. You could also pan fry or air fry the tofu.
- Try this crumbled tempeh or taco tempeh instead of or in addition to the mushroom.
- Beans: Use lentils, kidney beans or pinto beans instead of black beans.
- Use this black beans and rice recipe instead of the individual rice and black beans.
- You can add chopped zucchini and/or poblano peppers to the veggie mixture.
- Try this red rice instead of lime rice.
Additions & Topping Ideas
- roasted corn, corn salsa or fresh corn
- avocado sauce or guacamole
- avocado crema
- simple cabbage slaw
- cashew chipotle sauce
- tofu cilantro lime crema
- cashew lime crema
- sliced jalapeno
- pickled red onion
- grated cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- cotija, queso fresco or feta cheese or any vegan cheese you enjoy
- salsa, pico de gallo, mango salsa or fresh tomato
- refried beans – try these refried black beans in the Instant Pot!
- tortilla chips – crushed on top or on the side
- Tofu or Tempeh: You can marinate cubed tofu and then bake it for 20-25 minutes at 400 F until browned or crumble tofu or tempeh in a pan, add the mushroom marinade and cook for a few minutes to heat through.
- Lentils: Use 2 cups of cooked lentils. Add to a skillet with the mushroom marinade and cook until heated through.
- Plant-Based Meat Alternative: Use crumbled vegan meat like Beyond, vegan chicken, seitan or another meat alternative you enjoy.
Yes. To use prepared fajita seasoning, omit the garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder and cayenne and use about 1 tbsp of fajita seasoning each for the mushrooms and vegetables.
The recipe is nearly gluten-free as written, just make sure you use gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
Storing & Making Ahead
- Chop the veggies and make the rice ahead of time for quicker assembly.
- Assembled bowls (without the avocado) will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheat in the microwave until heated through, add avocado and other toppings and enjoy.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
Flavourful vegetarian fajita bowls featuring “meaty” marinated mushrooms, fajita veggies, rice, black beans and avocado. Perfect for a healthy dinner or meal prep!
For the Marinated Mushrooms
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into 1/4-inch wedges (535 g)
For the Fajita Bowls
- Combine Fajita Spices: In a small bowl mix together all of the marinade spices until combined.
- Mix Mushroom Marinade: Add ½ of the spice mixture to a mixing bowl with the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix thoroughly, breaking up any clumps.
- Marinate Mushrooms: Add the sliced mushrooms to the bowl with the marinade and mix until they are well coated. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Cook Rice: While the mushrooms are marinating, cook your rice according to package instructions, adding the cumin to the rice. Once the rice is finished cooking, fold in the lime zest.
- Cook Fajita Veggies: Heat the 2 tsp olive oil in a skillet or large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the peppers, onions and the remaining spice mixture. Cook for 6-7 minutes, stirring often, until the peppers and onions are soft.
- Broil Mushrooms: Preheat oven on the broil setting. Lay the marinated mushrooms flat on a baking sheet. Place in the oven on broil for 2 minutes, remove from the oven and flip and broil for an additional 1 minute.
- Assemble the Fajita Bowls: When everything is ready, assemble your bowls by dividing the ingredients equally between 4 bowls.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish the bowls with cilantro, green onions and avocado. Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
The recipe can make 4-6 bowls. If you’re making 6 bowls, increase the rice to 2 cups uncooked and include an extra avocado so you have half per bowl. Note that if you’re making these for meal prep to leave the avocado off until just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 479
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 66 g
- Fiber: 19 g
- Protein: 15 g
Keywords: veggie fajita bowl, vegetarian fajita bowl