These delicious vegan fajitas are super easy to make for a quick, tasty plant-based meal the whole family will enjoy.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, can be gluten-free (just use corn tortillas), can be oil-free.
- Quick and easy to make – just a few minutes of prep and a quick cooking time.
- For a fun family-friendly dinner, make a fajita table with all your favourite fillings like dairy-free cheese, sour cream, salsa, green onion, beans, cilantro and lime.
- Perfect quick and healthy weeknight meal.
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Olive Oil: For creating the marinade for the veggies. If you prefer the recipe to be oil-free, you can use 2 tbsp of broth.
- Spices: To season the veggies, you’ll need cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. For some heat, you can add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.
- Veggies: Bell peppers, onion and portobello mushrooms. If you don’t like mushrooms, it’s totally fine to omit them or add some extra bell pepper to replace them.
- Toppings: Up to you! I like refried black beans, dairy-free sour cream, salsa and avocado but anything goes. Try some vegan cheese if you like!
Step-by-Step with Photos
Step 1: Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Chop all the veggies into thick slices then add to the bowl with the marinade, mix well and let sit for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Heat a large skillet over medium heat, then add the veggies and cook for 5-7 minutes until just tender.
Serve the veggies in your favourite corn or wheat tortillas with toppings like sour cream, salsa and refried beans.
Sure! You can use store-bought seasoning and follow the package instructions to make your veggies.
Nope. Just leave them out if you don’t like them.
Sure! For sheet pan fajitas, preheat oven to 425 F then add the veggies and marinade to a sheet pan. Mix well then roast at 420 F for 7-10 minutes until tender and lightly browned.
Sure. Toss in a can of rinsed chickpeas or a store-bought meat alternative like chick’n tenders or veggie ground round.
Notes & Tips
- Try these homemade refried beans or black beans and onions for a filling.
- Quick pickled red onions always make a tasty topping!
- For a yummy sauce for topping, try this cashew garlic lime crema, tofu garlic lime crema, spicy mayo, vegan cheese sauce, cashew cream, avocado sauce or spicy chipotle sauce.
- This cabbage cilantro slaw or sesame slaw are good additions.
- Guacamole makes a great addition to these!
- Gluten-Free Option: Be sure to use corn tortillas.
- Oil-Free Option: Use broth instead of olive oil.
- Spicy Option: Serve with your favourite hot sauce or spicy salsa or add cayenne or red pepper flakes to the seasoning mix.
- The cooked veggies can be stored in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Leftover veggies can also be used for other uses like in these breakfast tacos, burrito bowls, burritos or taco salad.
- Roasted Cauliflower Burrito Bowls
- Vegan Lentil Tacos
- Instant Pot Refried Black Beans
- Peanut Chickpea Tacos
- Black Bean Tacos
- Tempeh Tacos
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
These vegan fajitas are perfect for a quick and tasty home-cooked meal any night of the week. Marinate and cook up the veggies then serve hot with all your favourite fajita toppings like sour cream and salsa.
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30 mL)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder or minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, thickly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thickly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thickly sliced
- 1 large red onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cups chopped baby portobello mushrooms (300 g)
- 8 tortillas (corn for GF version)
- diced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- sliced green onions
- vegan sour cream
- Firstly, prepare the marinade by combining all ingredients together until fully mixed.
- Slice the peppers, onion and mushrooms into thick slices. Place all the vegetable
slices into a large bowl. Add the marinade and coat everything evenly. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare your favourite toppings for serving.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the marinated vegetables and cook, until just tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Assemble your fajitas by putting the cooked vegetable filling at the bottom of each tortilla. Top with chopped avocado, sour cream, salsa, fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Nutrition facts include 1/4 of the vegetable mixture and 2 corn tortillas per serving.
Storing: The cooked veggies can be stored in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave. Not suitable for freezing.
Leftover veggies can be used for other uses like in these breakfast tacos, burrito bowls, burritos or taco salad.
- Serving Size: 2 fajitas
- Calories: 343
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 19 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 60 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: vegan fajitas, veggie fajitas
This is one of my go to easy recipes I love to make when im home on my own, only because my daughter wont eat mushroom and nothing can replace them in this recipe! I love mushroom but i dont eat them as often as I would like. I love the mix of spices in this recipe and I always add black beans for extra protein.
So glad it works well for you, Diana! Thanks for the review.
Very easy to make! The marinade is very good! I didn’t realize I didn’t have onion powder at home, so I made the marinade without and it still tasted delicious! I decided to add refried beans to my fajitas. It taste good! I recommend!
So glad you liked them! Thanks for letting me know.
My husband and I enjoyed this easy meal! The fajitas were yummy.
Made the fajitas and the chipotle cream sauce last night, both double batches and both were absolutely delicious! Allow some extra time for preparation. We used a large cast iron pan for the fajitas and the aroma was amazing. You won’t be disappointed!
So glad you enjoyed them, Mir! Thanks so much for letting me know.
I had. To run and grab the ingredients for this recipe the moment I saw the picture. So easy and delicious. Thank you so much for posting !!!
Thanks for trying it! Glad you enjoyed them.