Vegan Breakfast Burritos
Mexican food for breakfast is probably one of my favourite things in the world. Huevos rancheros? Best. Ever. However, I choose not to eat eggs or dairy, so what am I to do? Well, I get as close as I can, vegan-style, with a delicious tofu scramble and mexi-flavours like avocado, cilantro, salsa, spices, beans and lime.
Put those ingredients in pretty much anything and that, I will eat. The tofu scramble is delicious just on it’s own too, so feel free to just enjoy that if you’re pressed for time or ingredients!
I hope you enjoy this very simple, vegan-style tofu breakfast burrito. Next, I gotta work on some vegan breakfast tostadas or getting closer to huevos rancheros…if you have any bright ideas, let me know!
For more vegan Mexican recipes, check out my Red Rice and Chili Lime Black Bean Burritos, these Vegan Tostadas with Tomatilla Sauce, Romaine Fajita Boats or one of my favourites, these simple Vegan Lentil Tacos.Print
For the Tofu Scramble
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- heaping 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 a red pepper, diced
- 1 package of extra-firm or pressed tofu, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp each: cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and turmeric, mixed with 3 tsp of water
To Make the Burritos
- 5 large tortillas
- 1 cup drained and rinsed black beans or pinto beans, or refried beans
- filling ideas: shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado, cilantro
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add in the garlic, red onion, red pepper and mushrooms and cook until the onions and mushrooms start to soften, about 6 or 7 minutes. Add a little water if needed.
- Add the crumbled tofu and spice mixture to the pan.
- Stir well to mix it all up and cook until the tofu is heated through.
- Heat up the refried beans (optional, I added mine cold).
- Prepare the wraps with a few generous spoonfuls of beans, lettuce, cilantro, avocado, salsa and a big scoop of the tofu scramble. Spritz with lime juice.
- Wrap it up and enjoy!
Nutrition facts are estimated using a flour tortilla.
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: vegan breakfast burritos, tofu scramble burritos