Vegan Breakfast Burritos
These vegan breakfast burritos feature tofu scramble, beans and any other fillings you enjoy for a healthy, delicious breakfast.
- Dietary Features: Veagn, nut-free, can be gluten-free.
- Make the scramble in advance for quick breakfasts all week.
- Freezer-friendly for a grab-n-go breakfast option!
- Easy to customize with different ingredients like vegan cheese, refried beans, avocado, potato, rice, greens and more!
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Mushrooms: For the scramble to add veggies and volume but if you don’t like them, it’s totally fine to leave them out.
- Garlic & Onion: Adds flavour to the scramble. In a pinch, you can use a pinch of garlic powder and onion powder if you don’t have time to chop!
- Bell Peppers: Any colour works.
- Tofu: Firm or extra-firm works. You can press it for best results but it’s not totally necessary if you’re short on time.
- Spices: To flavour the tofu scramble, you’ll need cumin, chili powder, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. These add a Southwest-style flavour (and the turmeric adds colour) but can easily be adjusted to suit your preference. You can also just use salt and pepper to keep it simple.
- Tortillas: Any large tortillas work or you can use small ones and make breakfast tacos.
- Fillings: Up to you! Avocado, romaine or spinach, salsa, cheese, rice, roasted potatoes, sweet potato, black beans, refried beans and cilantro all work well.
Step-by-Step with Photos
Step 1: Heat a pan over medium heat then add the water or broth and veggies. Cook for 5-6 minutes until softened and fragrant.
Step 2: Mix the spices together with the 3 tbsp of water in a small dish to make a paste then add that to the pan with the crumbled tofu.
Quick Tip: If you’re using beans and want them heated up, you can add them right into the scramble and heat through or heat them up separately. If you’re using refried beans, it’s recommended to heat them up in a separate pan.
Step 3: Assemble the burritos. Start with some beans, add any other filling you desire, then add the scramble, roll and enjoy!
Quick Tip: To roll the burritos, fold in the sides over the filling then tightly roll away from you into a burrito.
You don’t have to, no. Pressing the tofu squeezes out the water so the tofu can better absorb flavours but it’s not totally necessary. I often skip it!
If you do plan ahead, you’ll need 20-30 minutes to press the tofu. You can press it by wrapping it in a dish cloth and placing a heavy object on it or by using a tofu press.
There are so many great options!
• cooked white or brown rice
• leftover roasted potatoes
• black beans or refried black beans
• pinto beans or kidney beans
• any grated dairy-free cheese
• sour cream
• guacamole or avocado
• greens like romaine, spinach or kale
I usually keep it pretty simple and just do tofu scramble, beans, avocado and salsa.
No problem, just leave them out!
- Assembled burritos can be wrapped individually and frozen for up to 3 months. Reheat the burritos in the oven or microwave until heated to your preference.
- The tofu scramble can be made up to 4 days in advance and stored in the fridge for quick assembly.
- Assembled burritos can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days though it’s recommended to leave off ingredients like salsa, sour cream and greens so they don’t get soggy.
For the Tofu Scramble
- 2 tbsp water or broth (for sauteeing)
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- heaping 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 a red pepper, diced
- 1 350 g package of extra-firm or pressed tofu, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or kala namak salt
- 3 tbsp water
To Make the Burritos
- 5 large tortillas
- 1 cup drained and rinsed black beans or pinto beans, or refried beans
- romaine lettuce or spinach
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat then add the water, mushrooms, garlic, bell pepper and onion. Cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Mix all of the spices together with the water in a small dish.
- Add the crumbled tofu and spice mixture to the pan.
- Stir well to mix it all up and cook until the tofu is heated through.
- Heat up the refried beans, black beans or pinto beans (optional, can also just add cold).
- Prepare the wraps with a few generous spoonfuls of beans and any other fillings you desire such as avocado and salsa. Add some of the tofu scramble to each wrap.
- Wrap it up by folding in the sides then rolling into a burrito. Enjoy!
Nutrition facts are estimated using a flour tortilla.
If you don’t want to do the veggies in the tofu scramble. Just use the tofu and spice mixture, heat through and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 46 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: vegan breakfast burritos, tofu scramble burritos
Originally published September 6, 2014.