Mexican food for breakfast is probably one of my favourite things in the world. Huevos rancheros? Best. Ever. However, I choose not to eat eggs or dairy, so what am I to do? Well, I get as close as I can, vegan-style, with a delicious tofu scramble and mexi-flavours like avocado, cilantro, salsa, spices, beans and lime.
Put those ingredients in pretty much anything and that, I will eat. The tofu scramble is delicious just on it’s own too, so feel free to just enjoy that if you’re pressed for time or ingredients!
I hope you enjoy this very simple, vegan-style tofu breakfast burrito. Next, I gotta work on some vegan breakfast tostadas or getting closer to huevos rancheros…if you have any bright ideas, let me know!
Oh, and if you really wanna take this up a notch, make this Real-Deal Homemade Non-Dairy Sour Cream and proceed to smoother your burrito with it. And if you’re feelin’ realllly crazy, make this Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce and add it in too. P.S. Let me know when it’s ready…I’ll be waiting.
Healthy Vegan Breakfast Burritos
These healthy vegan breakfast burritos taste amazing and are easy to make. You can prep the tofu scramble ahead of time then just throw them together in the morning. They can even be prepared and frozen individually for a healthy take on frozen burritos!
- Yield: 4
For the Tofu Scramble
- 4 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- heaping 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 a red pepper, diced
- 1 package of extra-firm or pressed tofu, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp each: cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and turmeric, mixed with 3 tsp of water
To Make the Burrito
- fresh lime juice
- refried beans
- sliced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add in the garlic, red onion, red pepper and mushrooms and cook until the onions and mushrooms start to soften, about 6 or 7 minutes. Add a little water if needed.
- Add the crumbled tofu and spice mixture to the pan.
- Stir well to mix it all up and cook until the tofu is heated through.
- Heat up the refried beans (optional, I added mine cold).
- Prepare the wraps with a few generous spoonfuls of beans, lettuce, cilantro, avocado, salsa and a big scoop of the tofu scramble. Spritz with lime juice.
- Wrap it up and enjoy!
For more vegan Mexican recipes, check out my Red Rice and Chili Lime Black Bean Burritos, these Vegan Tostadas with Tomatilla Sauce, Romaine Fajita Boats or one of my favourites, these simple Vegan Lentil Tacos.