For the Queso Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (21 g)
- 2 heaping tbsp tomato sauce (40 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the Chili
- 1 19 oz. can mixed beans
- 1 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 a jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 large grated carrot, grated (approx. 1/2 heaping cup),
- 1 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
For the Fries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the potatoes into approximately 1/2 inch wedge fries and toss with a sprinkle of sea salt and pepper. Add a pinch of paprika and chili powder, if desired. Line the fries on a baking tray (use parchment paper, a silicone mat or non-stick cooking spray), allowing some room between each fry. Bake for 25 minutes, flip and bake 15-20 minutes more until browned and crispy.
- Add all queso ingredients to a high-speed blender and mix until smooth and creamy.
- To make the chili add all the ingredients to a medium-sized pot and little simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring every so often until it’s well-mixed and the carrot is tender.
- Once the fries are ready, load them onto a plate. Top with chili and cheese sauce and dig in!
Queso sauce and chili make enough for 4-6 servings. Adjust amount of potatoes accordingly.
If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak cashews in water for 8 hours up to overnight or boil for 10 minutes then drain. You can skip this if you want but the sauce will be grainy.
If you can’t find mixed beans, kidney, black or pinto beans all work. If you can’t find a 19 oz can, a 14 oz can is fine. You’ll need 1.5-2 cups of beans.
This recipe is best enjoyed fresh but the cheese sauce and chili can both be stored separately in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For the tomato sauce, use any plain canned or jarred tomato or pasta sauce.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 585
- Sugar: 12.3 g
- Fat: 28 g
- Carbohydrates: 70 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan chili cheese fries, vegan queso sauce