No-Bake Chocolate Caramel Tarts
These no-bake chocolate caramel tarts feature a chocolate walnut coconut crust and sweet, creamy caramel filling. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and has no added sugar!
Recipe Ingredient Notes
You only need 6 simple ingredients to make these! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Walnuts. Look for plain, raw walnuts with no added oil or salt. Pecans or cashews also work here.
- Cocoa powder. You can use regular cocoa powder or for a boost in nutrition, try raw cacao powder.
- Coconut. Use unsweetened fine or medium shredded coconut (may be labelled desiccated coconut).
- Dates. Dates make up the base of both the crust and the caramel. I recommend sayer or medjool dates are best. I like to buy pitted sayer dates to use in recipes like this.
- Almond butter. Natural almond or peanut butter both work great here.
- Coconut milk or coconut cream. You’ll need thick and creamy full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream for the caramel.
Recipe Method and Tips
Before you start the recipe, you’ll need:
- a food processor or high-speed blender
- parchment paper, optional but makes things easier!
- a mini muffin tin
Step 1. Soak the dates
Before you start in on the recipe, you’ll need about 20-30 minutes of soaking time for the dates that will be used in the caramel. Place the pitted dates in a bowl, cover with hot water and soak for at least minutes.
Step 2. Make the chocolate crust.
Next up – the chocolate coconut tarts!
Start by adding the walnuts and coconut to a food processor and mixing until they’re broken down and resemble a coarse, flaky flour. Add the dates and cocoa and process into a thick dough.
Quick Tip: After making the chocolate crust, give the food processor a good wipe before making the caramel.
Step 3. Form the tarts.
For this step, you’ll need the parchment paper and the mini muffin tin.
Quick Tip: Cut thin strips of parchment and lie them across each muffin cup. It will make it easy to pop the tarts out when they’re done!
Take balls of the chocolate coconut dough and divide them evenly between 12 cups.
Form the tarts by filling each cup flush with the edge of the muffin tin, then using your finger to press a hole in each and widen enough to make room for the caramel.
This step is a little messy but it will be worth it!
Step 3. Make the caramel.
Mmmm, now the delicious, decadent, addictive caramel filling! Drain the dates then dump them into a food processor along with the almond butter, sea salt and coconut milk.
Recipe Note: I’ve made the caramel with and without coconut milk and both work just fine. I prefer the finished texture with the added coconut milk though! If you don’t have any on hand, you can leave it out.
Process until smooth and creamy. You may have to stop a few times to scrape down the sides. Be patient and continue until you have a beautiful, thick, smooth caramel. It should have the consistency of a dip.
Step 4. Fill the tarts, set and enjoy!
We’re almost there! The last step is to take that amazing caramel and use it to fill the tarts. Use a teaspoon to evenly divide it between the cups. When you’re done, give them a generous sprinkle of shredded coconut.
Pop the pan into the freezer and set for 30 minutes. When they’re done, hold either end of parchment sticking out of tarts and gently wiggle back and forth until it pops out. Enjoy!
Chocolate Caramel Tarts Recipe
You are going to love these amazing chocolate coconut caramel-filled mini tarts! They’re a little bit messy to make but with minimal step ingredients, still quite quick and easy.
They’re also completely vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and have no added sugar – just the natural sugar from the dates!
I like these best stored in the fridge so the caramel stays nice and soft. They can also be stored in the freezer but I’d recommend letting them sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before enjoying.
More Desserts to Try
Here are some more tasty treats you’ll love:
- No-Bake Chocolate Caramel Bars
- Peanut Butter Blondies
- No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Tarts
- No-Bake Almond Joy Bars
Delicious, decadent, no-bake caramel-filled chocolate tarts made with just 6 simple ingredients!
For the Chocolate Crust
- 1 cup (220 g) packed, soft pitted dates
- 1/2 cup (75 g) chopped walnuts or walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup (50 g) unsweetened medium or fine shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp (14 g) cocoa powder
For the Caramel Filling
- Place the dates for the caramel in a bowl, cover with hot water and let soak for 20-30 minutes.
- To make the chocolate crust, add the coconut and walnuts to a food processor and mix until mostly broken down and grainy. Add the dates and cocoa powder and process into a thick, crumbly dough.
- Prepare 12 thin strips of parchment long enough to lay around each mini muffin cup. This is optional but it makes it really easy to pop the tarts out once done.
- Divide the chocolate dough evenly between each of the 12 muffin tins. Press flat then use your finger to create a well in the middle of each.
- To make the caramel, drain the soaked dates and add to a food processor with the almond butter, sea salt and coconut milk or cream. Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Divide the caramel between each of the 12 chocolate tarts. Sprinkle generously shredded coconut.
- Place the whole muffin tin in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and holding either end of the parchment under each tart, gently wiggle back and forth until the tart pops out.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing, let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 19 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
Keywords: mini, easy, healthy