For the Chocolate Crust
- 1 cup (220 g) packed, soft pitted dates
- 1/2 cup (75 g) chopped walnuts or walnut pieces
- 1/2 cup (50 g) unsweetened medium or fine shredded coconut
- 2 tbsp (14 g) cocoa powder
For the Caramel Filling
- Place the dates for the caramel in a bowl, cover with hot water and let soak for 20-30 minutes.
- To make the chocolate crust, add the coconut and walnuts to a food processor and mix until mostly broken down and grainy. Add the dates and cocoa powder and process into a thick, crumbly dough.
- Prepare 12 thin strips of parchment long enough to lay around each mini muffin cup. This is optional but it makes it really easy to pop the tarts out once done.
- Divide the chocolate dough evenly between each of the 12 muffin tins. Press flat then use your finger to create a well in the middle of each.
- To make the caramel, drain the soaked dates and add to a food processor with the almond butter, sea salt and coconut milk or cream. Blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Divide the caramel between each of the 12 chocolate tarts. Sprinkle generously shredded coconut.
- Place the whole muffin tin in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the freezer and holding either end of the parchment under each tart, gently wiggle back and forth until the tart pops out.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months. If freezing, let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 19 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
Keywords: mini, easy, healthy