Vegan Tahini Hemp Seed Bars
These tahini hemp seed bars have the most amazing chewy texture and sweet, nutty, sesame flavour. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and oil-free.
These delicious hemp seed bars feature some of my favourite ingredients: tahini, coconut, hemp seeds, dates and maple syrup. Here are a few notes about what to look for when choosing ingredients:
- Tahini. Good tahini will be wonderfully creamy with a nutty flavour that’s not overly bitter. Look for tahini with just one ingredient: sesame seeds.
- Hemp seeds. High in protein, iron, vitamin E and antioxidants, hemp seeds really pack the nutrition into these bars. Hemp seeds are sometimes called hemp hearts.
- Coconut. Use unsweetened fine or medium shredded coconut. It may be labeled as desiccated coconut.
- Maple syrup. The maple syrup acts as a binder and sweetens the recipe. You can substitute agave or brown rice syrup but I wouldn’t recommend switching to a granular sweetener.
- Dates. Soft, moist dates are best for this recipe. I recommend medjool or sayer dates. If your dates are very dry, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using, however, I recommend using dates that are nice and soft.
- Oats. Use quick, rolled or old fashioned oats. The oats will be processed into a grainy oat flour so any oat variety except steel cut oats works.
Recipe Method and Tips
These bars are easy to make with just 6 ingredients. You’ll also need a food processor and a square baking dish or pan to make them.
Step 1. Blend the oats into a coarse, grainy flour in your food processor.
They don’t have to be as fine as oat flour but they should be mostly broken down. This should only take a few seconds.
Step 2. Add the rest of the ingredients and process into a thick dough.
I recommend making the dough in a food processor over a blender. Either way, stop to scrape down the sides as needed until you have a thick, uniform dough.
Step 3. Press into a pan, bake and enjoy!
Vegan Tahini Hemp Seed Bars
These simple baked energy bars are full of superfood ingredients like hemp seeds, tahini, coconut, oats and dates. They’re vegan, gluten, egg and dairy-free and are packed with all-natural energy for a quick boost anytime you need it.
More Tahini Dessert RecipesPrint
- Place the oats in a food processor or high-powered blender and pulse a few times.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until it forms a thick dough.
- Prepare a 7-8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Press the dough into the pan, taking a few minutes to press it into all corners and getting it as flat as you can.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before handling.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 15 g
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: gluten-free, hemp bars, healthy, date bars, oil-free, baked
This recipe was originally published August 15, 2016. It was updated with new photos and text February 2020.