Vegan Chia Seed Pancakes
Remember how I used to not like pancakes? What was I thinking? Since my change of heart, I’ve been making pancakes every weekend. It’s time to make up for all those pancake-less years. These vegan chia seed pancakes will be the 4th pancake recipe I’ve posted in the last few months and you can probably expect a few more to come.
Chia Seed Magic
Today’s variation uses the wonderful, amazing, superstar superfood, and my personal favourite seed, the chia seed. I eat chia almost every single day, usually in the form of chia pudding. I’m a huge fan of chia pudding for breakfast because it’s just so convenient and delicious. My favourite variety lately is made with oats, peanut butter, a wee bit of maple syrup, almond milk and banana. It’s sweet and salty and so delicious.
Since I love chia just so damn much, and I have new found love of pancakes, I thought, why not combine the two? It was another pancake success, if I do say so myself. Until next weekend, you delicious pancakes, you.
Vegan Chia Seed Pancakes
About these vegan chia seed pancakes. For one, they’re delicious. For two..no oil needed! For three…they’re super easy to make with simple ingredients.
I used pure maple syrup to sweeten them but if you can use another sweetener if you prefer, such as agave, raw sugar, stevia drops or another sugar substitute like xylitol.
I’ve added baking powder and apple cider vinegar to help get these babies to fluff right up. I used almond milk for the liquid but you can use any plant-based milk or even water. Once you’re cooking, for best results make sure you wait until they bubble in the middle to flip them.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or another sweetener of choice, use stevia for sugar-free pancakes)
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional, adds flavour)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional, adds flavour)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla, maple syrup and ACV and stir until “just mixed.”
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes so the chia can work it’s magic.
- Cook in approximately 1/4 cup scoops over medium heat in a lightly oiled non-stick pan.
- Flip when bubbles appear in the middle of each pancake.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes on the other side.
- Makes approximately 10 pancakes.
Keywords: chia pancakes, easy, oil-free, quick, kids