Years ago, I used to love Campbell’s Broccoli and Cheddar Soup made with skim milk. Nowadays, you wouldn’t catch me near it! The list of ingredients in that little can is a long and scary one.
So how can we achieve that creamy, dreamy, cheesy flavour without the list of scary ingredients? The solution…..NOOCH!! Or, more commonly called, nutritional yeast. Seriously, thank goodness for this stuff. It’s a life saver in a vegan kitchen and adds the cheesy component to this delicious broccoli soup. I always keep some on hand for adding a cheesy component to all sorts of different recipes.
This soup is so easy to make and can be ready in less than 30 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dinner option. You can always make it ahead too and store it in the fridge for a few days, it’s actually even better next day. It’s creamy, flavourful and rich, but still low calorie and packed full of nutrition.
Nutritional yeast is typically fortified with B12, making a wonderful addition to a plant-based diet. Broccoli as you’ve probably heard, is a nutritional powerhouse and it’s the star of this delicious, vegan recipe.
I love enjoying this soup on a rainy, Sunday afternoon but because it’s so easy to make, it’s a great meal anytime!
It’s just a bowl of comfort and when served with a toasted piece of sourdough bread, perfection.Print
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large pot, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper and dijon and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the milk, broth and broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast and lemon juice.
- Remove about 1/2 of the soup and puree in a blender.
- Pour it back into the pot with the remaining soup.
- Serve with toasted sourdough bread. Makes 4 large dinner-sized portions or 8 sides.
If you’re unsure of where to find nutritional yeast in your area, you can purchase it on Amazon here.