Creamy Cheesy Vegan Broccoli Soup
How to Make Dairy-Free “Cheesy” Broccoli Soup
When I was in high school, I used to love Campbell’s Broccoli and Cheddar Soup made with skim milk. As I no longer eat dairy, the days of afterschool cheesy broccoli soup are long gone.
So how can we achieve that creamy, dreamy, cheesy flavour without the dairy? Nutritional yeast, of course! Seriously, thank goodness for this stuff. It’s a life saver in a vegan kitchen and adds the cheesy component to this delicious broccoli soup. I always keep some on hand for adding a cheesy component to all sorts of different recipes.
Easiest Vegan Broccoli Soup
This soup is so easy to make and can be ready in less than 30 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dinner option. You can always make it ahead too and store it in the fridge for a few days, it’s actually even better the next day. It’s creamy, flavourful and rich, but still low calorie and packed full of nutrition.
Nutritional yeast is typically fortified with B12, making a wonderful addition to a plant-based diet. If you’re unsure of what nutritional yeast, I have a whole post about that you can read here. Broccoli as you’ve probably heard is a nutritional powerhouse and it’s the star of this delicious, vegan recipe.
I love enjoying this soup on a rainy, Sunday afternoon but because it’s so easy to make, it’s a great meal anytime! It’s just a bowl of comfort and when served with a toasted piece of sourdough bread, perfection.
More Broccoli Soup
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Loving this creamy broccoli soup? You’ll love these recipes too:Print
- In a large soup pot, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often. To make it oil-free, you can cook the onions in 2 tbsp of water or broth. Add more as needed if the pan starts to dry out.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper and dijon and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and chopped broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast and lemon juice.
- Either scoop all the soup into a blender and blend to your desired consistency or for chunky broccoli soup, remove about 1/2 of the soup and puree, leaving the rest behind. You can also use an immersion blender right in the pot if you like.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot. If it’s too thick for your liking, stir in some extra broth or unsweetened almond milk to adjust the consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Makes 4 large dinner-sized portions or 8 sides.
I updated this recipe in February of 2019. The original recipe called for half unsweetened almond milk and half broth for the liquid but I decided to change it to all broth. You can try it with half and half if you like, both ways are good. You can also just stir in a little plant milk at the end for some extra creaminess.
Keywords: cheddar, creamy, easy, healthy, vegetarian, dairy-free