- In a large soup pot, cook the onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often. To make it oil-free, you can cook the onions in 2 tbsp of water or broth. Add more as needed if the pan starts to dry out.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper and dijon and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and chopped broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
- Turn off heat and stir in nutritional yeast and lemon juice.
- Either scoop all the soup into a blender and blend to your desired consistency or for chunky broccoli soup, remove about 1/2 of the soup and puree, leaving the rest behind. You can also use an immersion blender right in the pot if you like.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot. If it’s too thick for your liking, stir in some extra broth or unsweetened almond milk to adjust the consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Makes 4 large dinner-sized portions or 8 sides.
I updated this recipe in February of 2019. The original recipe called for half unsweetened almond milk and half broth for the liquid but I decided to change it to all broth. You can try it with half and half if you like, both ways are good. You can also just stir in a little plant milk at the end for some extra creaminess.
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup, vegan cheesy broccoli soup