Vegan Chocolate Avocado Pudding
This easy vegan chocolate avocado pudding is easy to make with just a few simple ingredients.
If you’re a little sceptical of mixing avocado and chocolate, worry not, this pudding really is a delicious treat!
What You’ll Need
- Avocado. You 1 ripe avocado. A ripe avocado should be firm with a little bit of give to it when you give it a light squeeze.
- Medjool dates. Soft, moist, plump medjool dates are best for this recipe but you can use a different variety if needed.
- Maple syrup. Maple syrup adds moisture as well as sweetens the recipe. It can be substituted with agave or honey (not vegan).
- Cocoa powder. Use regular cocoa powder for for an extra boost in nutrition, raw cacao powder.
How to Make this Recipe
Add everything to a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed until you have a uniform consistency.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- The recipe serves 2 but can easily be doubled.
- This is best served fresh, however, leftovers can be stored overnight if needed.
- If the mixture is too thick when blending, add almond milk 1 tbsp at a time until you reach the right consistency.
- If your dates are on the dry side, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe.
Can you taste the avocado?
The cocoa, dates and maple syrup are enough to mask the avocado so all you’re left with is wonderfully smooth and creamy, rich chocolate pudding. That being said, if left overnight, the avocado does become more pronounced, so this recipe is best served fresh.
Can I make this without dates?
Yes, this recipe is easily customizable. To make it without dates, use 3 tbsp each maple syrup and cocoa powder then slowly add a bit of plant-based milk if needed after you initially blend everything up.
Pudding Topping Ideas
I love this pudding topped with fresh berries. Other yummy topping ideas are:
- sliced banana
- pecans, almonds or walnuts
- almond butter
- chocolate chips
- crumbled no-bake energy balls – they’re like cookie dough!
Loving this simple dessert? You might like these too:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
- Raw Hemp Seed Brownies
- 3-Ingredient Tahini Date Cookies
- No-Bake Pecan Pie Bites
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and mix until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down the sides is needed.
- Serve immediately.
The recipe serves 2 but can easily be doubled.
This is best served fresh, however, leftovers can be stored overnight if needed.
If the mixture is too thick when blending, add almond milk 1 tbsp at a time until you reach the right consistency. Coconut milk also works well here for a creamier addition.
If your dates are on the dry side, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe.
Keywords: avocado pudding, chocolate avocado pudding
UPDATE NOTE: This recipe was originally published on May 12, 2014. It was updated with new photos and text in September 2019.