Chocolate Chia Pudding
This chocolate peanut butter chia pudding is easy to prepare in a few minutes and makes a healthy dessert that’s packed with nutrition.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free.
- Delicious healthy dessert idea.
- Try it with toppings like berries, banana and peanut butter.
- Easy to prep in minutes.
- Ready to enjoy in 1-2 hours or can be made the day before.
- High in fibre and protein.
What You’ll Need
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Chia Seeds: White or black chia seeds work.
- Cocoa Powder: Any cocoa powder or raw cacao powder works but a good, dark chocolate cocoa will add the most flavour.
- Plant-Based Milk: You can use any sweetened or unsweetened milk like almond, cashew, soy, hemp or oat.
- Sweetener: The recipe is sweetened with maple syrup. It can be substituted with honey (not vegan) or agave syrup. For sugar-free pudding, you can use stevia or liquid monk fruit sweetener.
- Vanilla: Enhances the chocolate flavour but is optional.
- Toppings of choice like peanut butter and berries.
How to Make Chia Pudding
Add all of the pudding ingredients to a large glass mixing bowl and whisk well until all the chia seeds are broken up and the ingredients is fully combined.
Pop the bowl in the fridge for a couple hours up to overnight, then divide into 2-3 portions and enjoy!
Note: You can divide it into portions before storing if that’s easier.
- sliced banana
- coconut yogurt or whipped cream
- chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- caramel sauce
- nuts or seeds
- shredded coconut
- chocolate chips or cacao nibs
Chia pudding can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months and thawed in the fridge.
More Chia Seed Recipes
Loving this simple chia pudding? Here are some more recipes you might like:
- Mango Chia Pudding
- Blueberry Chia Jam
- Peanut Butter Jelly Chia Pudding
- Banana Split Chia Seed Pudding
- Chocolate Chia Protein Pudding
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
This super easy peanut butter chocolate chia pudding takes just moments to prepare and 30 minutes later you’re ready to top it with peanut butter, sliced banana and whatever else you can think of. Try it with a scoop of coconut whipped great or your favourite dairy-free yogurt!
- Add the chia seeds, almond milk, maple syrup, cacao powder, and the vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined, making sure to break up any clumps of chia seeds.
- Cover and refrigerate until set, 1-2 hours up to overnight.
- Divide the pudding between 2-3 servings and top with peanut butter and fresh raspberries.
Topping ideas: almond butter, tahini, coconut whipped cream, dairy-free yogurt, sliced strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, sliced mango, nuts, raisins, dried fruit, granola, cereal.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 369
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 199 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fiber: 19 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: chocolate chia pudding, chocolate chia seed pudding
Originally published April 23, 2017.