Baked Tofu Nuggets
These healthy baked tofu nuggets are fun and easy to make and amazing served with your favourite dip!
If you’re looking for a homemade alternative to chicken nuggets, these are for you!
These little bites are easy to make, crispy and so tasty! They’re perfect for an appetizer, snack or fun Friday night dinner.
- Dietary Features: Vegan (dairy-free and egg-free). Can be made gluten-free.
- Baked instead of fried for a healthier result (contain minimal oil).
- Easy to customize with different spices and herbs.
- Perfectly crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Source of plant-based protein.
Ingredients & Substitutions
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Tofu: Use pressed firm or extra-firm tofu.
- Chickpea Flour: Use chickpea, or garbanzo bean flour (not gram flour).
- Soy Sauce: Use soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos.
- Oil: Any neutral oil works.
- Garlic: 2 cloves of garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder works. You can also add a bit of onion powder for extra flavour.
- Nutritional Yeast: Adds a nutty, salty flavour to the nuggets. If you’re not sure what it is, read what is nutritional yeast.
- Paprika & Oregano: I love smoked paprika but if you only have regular paprika, that works too.
- Breadcrumbs: Use panko breadcrumbs for best results.
Before You Start: Press the tofu. You can find all the details for how to press tofu here.
When you’re ready, preheat the oven to 400 F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and prepare a shallow bowl with breadcrumbs for coating.
Add everything except for the tofu to a food processor and blend until fully combined.
A few pulses should do the trick. Avoid over blending, it should still have some texture to it.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the chickpea flour and breadcrumbs. Mix with a spoon until you have a consistency that can be shaped into nuggets.
If it’s too soft or falling apart, add a little more bread crumbs.
Form small nugget shapes with your hands and then coat both sides in breadcrumbs.
Place them on the baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and crispy. For an extra crispy result, you can spray them with a light coating of oil before baking.
Enjoy right away with your favourite dip!
- Honey Mustard
- Spicy Cashew Mayo
- Tahini Ranch
- Tofu Ranch
- Vegan Caesar Dressing
- Miso Gravy
- BBQ Sauce
- Vegan Tzatziki
Notes & Tips
- Spices & Herbs: For heat add a pinch of cayenne or red chili flakes. For a more savoury bite try thyme and rosemary or for a Mexican-inspired flavour, add chili powder, cumin and paprika.
- Don’t skip pressing the tofu. It’s important for this recipe. You can buy pressed tofu to save time, otherwise, you’ll need a minimum of 20 minutes pressing time.
Since they’re baked rather than fried, these are low in fat and the tofu adds plenty of protein.
You can! Simply let them cool completely then freeze in a sealed container or freezer bag. Reheat from frozen at 350 F until heated through (about 15-20 minutes).
Yep! Preheat the air fryer to 400 F. Cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking the basket half way through.
Not as is but they can easily be made gluten-free. Use gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos instead of soy sauce and use gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
- These are best enjoyed fresh but can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- Let them cool completely before storing.
- You can reheat them in the oven to crisp them up again after storing.
- They can also be frozen up to 4 months and reheated in the oven from frozen until heated through.
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
These baked vegan crispy tofu nuggets are easy to make with simple ingredients and so delicious served with your favourite dipping sauce. The whole family will love these!
- 1 350 g package firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari (45 mL)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola (15 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (8 g)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour (5 g)
- 4 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs (30 g) + more for coating
- Start by pressing the block of tofu to remove excess liquid. Use a tofu press or wrap the block in a dish towel or paper towels and place a heavy object on it for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F (200 C) degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add everything except for the chickpea flour and breadcrumbs to a food processor. Pulse a few times until fully combined. Do not over blend so it’s completely smooth, it should be well-mixed but still have some texture to it.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the breadcrumbs and the chickpea flour and mix well with a spoon until you have a mouldable consistency. If the mixture is too soft or falls apart, add some more bread crumbs as needed.
- Form nuggets with your hands and coat with the breadcrumbs on both sides.
- Place the nuggets in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crispy. For more crispiness, spray the nuggets with a little oil.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dip.
- Serving Size: 1 nugget
- Calories: 31
- Sugar: 0.1 g
- Sodium: 38 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 0.7 g
- Fiber: 0.4 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
Keywords: tofu nuggets, baked tofu nuggets