Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers
I’ve made veggie patties at home many, many times before but they almost almost fall apart. You can imagine how happy I was to find tonights spicy chickpea veggie burgers sticking together throughout cooking and eating. Not only did they stick together but the taste was awesome! I found myself sneaking bites of the uncooked mixture as I was making the patties. Feel free to sample as you go – no raw eggs or meat involved!
Homemade All The Way
These wonderful patties are an excellent alternative to those store-bought versions that pretend to be veggie burgers. Have you ever read the list of ingredients in some of those products?! Wow! There’s not much resembling vegetables in them and they’re often packed with preservatives, sodium and other additives.
There are a couple of decent store-bought options out there today and you can’t beat them for camping and BBQ’s but if you have the time and are looking for an delicious and healthy homemade option, this is it!
These burgers are much-loved and one of the most popular recipes on the blog with hundreds of excellent reviews. If you need some tips, tricks, recipe substitutions and alternative cooking methods, I’d suggest reading through the comments for reader feedback.
Easy and Flavourful
In addition to being full of flavour, these patties only take about 10 minutes to prep and you probably have most of the ingredients already! Feel free to switch up the spices and flavours as needed but I love the tangy red wine vinegar with the peanut butter, Sriracha and cilantro. It doesn’t quite sound like it should work but it really does, I swear!
Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers
In the end I ate this patty on a toasted whole-wheat bun topped with avocado, salsa and lettuce but I had to take a few fancy, pretty pictures first! Tomorrow I’ll eat a few patties over salad for lunch. They will even work as a healthy and filling grab-n-go snack since they actually hold together!Print
- 1 19 oz can (2 cups) chickpeas, drained, well-rinsed and mashed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 g) natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup (100 g) quick oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, place them in a bowl and mash them with a fork or pulse a few times with an immersion blender.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and use your hands to mix very well.
- Form into 6-8 patties.
- Cook on the BBQ around 400 F for approximately 10 minutes each side or fry in a pan with some oil for 3-5 minutes per side.
For successful recipe substitutions and alternative cooking methods, read through the comments below.
These burgers can be frozen after cooking and re-heated in the oven as needed.
I haven’t made them without oil but many readers have with success. Read through the comments for some great substitution ideas!
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 1.5 g
- Sodium: 400 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 5.5 g
- Protein: 7 g
Keywords: chickpea burgers, chickpea veggie burgers, best veggie burgers