With my nutrition goals right now, I’ve been making mashed cauliflower quite a bit since it’s so low in carbs yet still very filling.
Mashed cauliflower makes a great alternative to traditional mashed potatoes and is just as delicious. This version gets spruced up with kale, mushrooms, onion and plenty of garlic for a flavour-packed, super healthy, easy to make dish, perfect for any day of the week!
So…what do we have here in this yummy, simple dish…
Mashed Cauliflower with Kale and Mushrooms:
high in vitamin C and A
high in fibre
….and even has 11 grams of plant-based protein per serving!
Cooking by Weight or Volume?
Quick note. If you don’t have a digital food scale in your kitchen I would highly recommend getting one. I started using once when I started tracking macros and quickly learned that I’d been vastly underestimating how much I was eating. (Devastating when I realized what an actual serving of peanut butter looks like.) Also, if you do any baking, or anything where you’re using powdered ingredients, using weight over volume has worked so much better for me.
You can get one on Amazon for around $15. I will include the weight and volume of ingredients used in my recipes but either way, I’d highly recommend grabbing if you don’t have one already! Something like this one works just fine.
Okay, back to mashed cauliflower. Who has two thumbs and loves all the veggies…..yep, this girl does! Sorry, I’m such a nerd. Enjoy, friends.Print
Mashed Cauliflower with Kale and Mushroom
This delicious alternative to traditional mashed potatoes is packed full of nutrition and flavour but low in fat and carbs. Try it topped with a vegan mushroom gravy to really take it next level! Makes a great side or main dish, is easy to make and is vegan, gluten-free and paleo.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free, Low Carb
- 1 1/2 crowns of cauliflower (1300 g), chopped into pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, mince 4 and set 4 aside
- 1/2 a red onion (135 g), diced
- 227 g (8 oz) white mushrooms, sliced
- approximately 4 handfuls of kale (165 g), or 1 large bunch de-stemmed
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 3 tbsp vegetable stock or non-dairy milk
- 1/2-1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- Place the chopped cauliflower in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, mushrooms and onion and saute until everything starts to soften.
- Add the kale to the pan and cook until soft.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, strain then place in a food processor with the nutritional yeast, 4 cloves garlic, salt and either vegetable stock or non-dairy milk. Process until smooth and creamy. Add pepper to taste.
- Mix with the kale and mushrooms and serve topped with fresh parsley and chives.
- Serves 4 as an entree, or 6-8 as a side.
The nutritional yeast adds a cheezy, nutty flavour and some added nutrition but it’s totally optional. I also added 1 tsp of red pepper flakes for a little spice. Yummy!
I made this with my Ninja Mega Kitchen System. Love this thing! Buy one here.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 148
- Fat: 2.7
- Carbohydrates: 25.8
- Fiber: 9.4
- Protein: 11.8