Roasted Golden Beets
These beautiful oven roasted golden beets make an easy and delicious side dish made with just 6 simple ingredients.
What are Golden Beets?
Golden beets are a variety of beets similar to their red counterpart. The main difference between the two is their striking golden yellow color. They also are a bit milder in taste though they have less sweetness than red beets.
The best way to enjoy these beautiful beets is to roast them in the oven with simple seasonings.
Roasting helps bring out the earthy sweetness that’s on the inside by caramelizing the natural sugars. They also pair very well with the bright flavor of lemon and fresh herbs making it the perfect side dish that’s high in antioxidants and flavor!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free.
- The recipe can be seasoned with a variety of different fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme or sage.
- Enjoy them hot or cold as a side dish, snack or added to bowls and salads.
- Beautiful addition to a holiday meal!
- Prep them ahead of time. Golden beets can be prepped ahead by cutting and peeling and keeping in the fridge until you’re ready to toss with seasonings and roast.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Large Golden Beets – Golden beets can be found where the red beets are in the grocery store. If you cant find large beets, you can also use 4 medium beets or 5 small beets.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – This helps the beets stay tender and moist on the inside. You can substitute with avocado oil.
- Fresh Thyme – Adds a fresh herbed flavor that pairs well with earthy golden beets.
- Lemon Zest – Gives a pop of acidity and brightness to the final dish.
- Salt & Pepper – Balances and enhances all the flavors in the roasted beets.
How to Make Roasted Golden Beets
Scroll down to find the full written recipe. This section shows step-by-step photos for a quick visual reference of the method.
Step 1: Prepare & peel the golden beets.
Before you get started on the beets, preheat the oven to 400 F.
To prepare golden beets for roasting, trim off the ends of each side using a sharp knife. Then, use a vegetable peeler to peel away the layer of skin on the outside of the beet before cutting them into 1.5” pieces.
Step 2. Prepare for roasting.
Place the peeled and chopped beets on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper until fully coated. Spread them out in a single layer.
Do I need to use aluminum foil? No, you don’t need any foil or parchment paper on the pan but you can use some for easier clean up, if you prefer.
Step 3. Roast the beets & serve.
Place the beets in the preheated oven and roast for 30-35 minutes tossing halfway through the cooking time with a spatula, until they are cooked through and fork-tender.
Remove from the sheet pan and toss with lemon zest before serving.
Notes & Tips
- Make sure each piece is roughly the same size before roasting. This will ensure that the beets are cooked evenly.
- The beet pieces should be in a single layer on your sheet pan to prevent them from steaming or becoming soggy. You may have to cook them in a few batches if you have too many.
- If you’re buying beets with the greens on top, save the beet greens for juices, salads or to make a healthy pesto.
You don’t have to, but it’s a better presentation with golden beets if you do.
If you opt to keep the skin on while roasting, they’ll peel off easily after baking if you roast them whole. If you do not peel the beets before roasting, make sure to scrub the beets very hard to remove all of the dirt from them.
Golden beets have a slightly more earthy flavor than red beets. They also give off a slightly nutty flavor reminiscent of walnuts.
How to Serve Roasted Beets
Enjoy the sweet and earthy taste of oven-roasted golden beets on a salad, tossed into your favourite grain salad, or simply as is with your favorite main course.
The beauty of golden beets if they can be served in many different ways. You can even double or triple the batch to enjoy reheated or cold all week. Here are a few ideas for serving:
- Serve as a side dish with this Vegan Pot Pie, Chickpea Meatloaf or Lentil Shepherd’s Pie.
- Pair with these Vegan Mashed Potatoes, Sautéed Green Beans, Easy Vegan Stuffing and Sweet Potato Casserole to cover all your holiday side dishes.
- Use them in this Roasted Beet Salad.
- Add them to a cold summer pasta salad.
- Add them to any green salad.
- Enjoy cold straight from the fridge for a healthy snack.
Variation & Additions
- Sweeten them up by garnishing them with your favorite candied pecans or walnuts for crunch and texture.
- Toss with fresh orange juice for a bold citrus flavor perfect for summer.
- Add some crumbled tofu feta or tofu ricotta for a salty tangy bite.
- Pile on fresh herbs like chopped parsley, dill, basil or fresh mint.
- Give the beets a spicy flavor by roasting with a pinch of cayenne pepper or sprinkling some red chili flake on top.
- Add a little sweetness by drizzling roasted golden beets with a bit of maple syrup or honey.
- Toss with 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 tablespoon minced garlic along with everything else before roasting.
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
These oven roasted golden beets are made with fresh herbs and lemon for a flavourful and delicious side dish or addition to any salad.
- 3 large (over 3” diameter.) golden beets (or 4 medium or 5 small beets)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 C).
- Remove the top and the roots of the beets and peel each one with a vegetable peeler.
- Cut the beets into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Place the cut beets on a sheet pan and toss with the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, turning once or twice with a spatula, until the beets are tender and golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and immediately toss with the lemon zest.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve warm as a side dish or added to a salad.
Beets: This recipe can be made with yellow beets, red beets or golden beets.
Fresh Herbs: Try thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano or any combination of those. You can also add 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic.
Storing: Roasted beets will store well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Freezing: You can freeze cooked beets by spreading them in a single layer on a baking sheet then freezing them overnight. Once each piece is individually frozen, add them to a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 75
- Sodium: 390 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: roasted golden beets, oven roasted golden beets