Golden Coconut Apple Oatmeal
This golden coconut apple oatmeal is inspired by golden milk, the popular, creamy drink made with turmeric. These oats are made with beautiful warming spices like cardamom, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric and simmered with apple, flax and coconut for a filling, satisfying and healthy breakfast. Enjoy as is or top with mango, banana, nuts or cacao nibs and a drizzle of coconut or almond milk. This recipe is vegan, sugar-free and gluten-free.
Golden Milk Oatmeal
The key ingredient you need to create this “golden milk” oatmeal is turmeric. We’ve talked a lot about turmeric on the blog before. It’s a powerful anti-inflammatory and I like to include it in my diet regularly to improve recovery.
To enhance the absorption of curcurmin, the active ingredient found in turmeric, I added some black pepper. I also added ginger, cinnamon and cardamom for that warming, sweet and savoury blend of spices that go so well together. If you’re missing one of those, that’s okay. Just turmeric and either cinnamon or ginger is delicious, cardamom is just a bonus. If you have them all, go for it!
Coconut Apple Oatmeal
This recipe is easy to make in under 10 minutes. You’ll just need some oats, flax, apple, sweetener, spices and coconut. I cooked mine in water but you could also use a mix of water and either almond milk and coconut milk.
For more stovetop oatmeal ideas, try my Peanut Butter Banana Blueberry Oatmeal, Peanut Butter Chocolate Oatmeal, Vegan Peaches and Cream Oatmeal or Chia Seed Oatmeal with Tahini and Persimmon. For overnight oats, check out my Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oats, Carrot Cake Overnight Protein Oats or Chocolate Chip Zucchini Overnight Oats
Recipe Nutritional Details
This recipe makes one serving and provides calories, grams of carbohydrates, grams of fat and grams of protein. You’ll also be getting of your dialy iron, of your daily calcium nad of yoru daily vitamin A and vitamin C.Print
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (50 g)
- 3/4 cup water (start with 3/4 cup and add a bit more if it’s too thick, or you can stir in some almond or coconut milk once it’s cooked)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (7 g)
- 1 small apple, diced (100 g)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (12 g)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon and cardamom (if you’re missing one or two, no big deal, just use what you have)
- pinch of black pepper
Optional Topping Ideas
- Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan then add the rest of the ingredients and reduce to a light simmer. Add a bit more water or some coconut or almond milk if it seems to thick.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often then remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before transferring to a bowl and adding any desired toppings.