- 1/2 cup rolled oats (50 g)
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of salt, optional
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (7 g)
- 1 small apple, diced (100 g)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (12 g)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon and cardamom
- pinch of black pepper
Optional Topping Ideas
- Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan then add the rest of the ingredients and reduce to a light simmer. Add a bit more water or some coconut or almond milk if it seems to thick.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often then remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before transferring to a bowl and adding any desired toppings.
Start with 3/4 cup water and add a bit more if needed if it’s too thick, or you can stir in some almond or coconut milk once it’s cooked to adjust the consistency.
I didn’t sweeten my oatmeal but if you’d like it a bit sweeter, I’d recommend stirring in 1 tbsp pure maple syrup, coconut sugar or raw honey.
If you’re missing one of the spices, not a problem. Just use what you have.
Keywords: turmeric oatmeal, golden oatmeal