This beautiful golden coconut apple oatmeal is rich in nutrients, has anti-inflammatory properties and tastes amazing topped with fruits like mango and banana and a sprinkling of healthy nuts like walnuts or almonds.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (50 g)
- 3/4 cup water (start with 3/4 cup and add a bit more if it’s too thick, or you can stir in some almond or coconut milk once it’s cooked)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed (7 g)
- 1 small apple, diced (100 g)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut (12 g)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp each ground ginger, cinnamon and cardamom (if you’re missing one or two, no big deal, just use what you have)
- pinch of black pepper
Optional Topping Ideas
- walnuts, almonds or cashews
- chopped banana and/or mango
- almond butter
- cacao nibs
- drizzle of coconut milk or almond milk
- Bring the water to a boil in a small sauce pan then add the rest of the ingredients and reduce to a light simmer. Add a bit more water or some coconut or almond milk if it seems to thick.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often then remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes before transferring to a bowl and adding any desired toppings.
I didn’t sweeten my oatmeal but if you’d like it a bit sweeter, I’d recommend stirring in 1 tbsp pure maple syrup, coconut sugar or raw honey.