Curried Quinoa and Sweet Potato
This one pan curried quinoa and sweet potato is quick and easy to make for a healthy, vegan main or side dish.
- Make this dish in one pan in about 40 minutes.
- Easy to prep and cook.
- Vegan, gluten-free, can be oil-free.
- Easy to customize with different veggies.
- 17 g of plant-based protein and 13 g of fibre per serving.
- Great for a simple side dish or works as a healthy plant-based entree.
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Olive oil: If you’d like the recipe to be oil-free, you can swap the oil for a splash of water or vegetable broth.
- Sweet potato: Lovely sweetness that works well with the curry!
- Spices: You’ll need ground ginger, garlic powder and garam masala. To switch things up, you could use a mild yellow curry powder instead of garam masala.
- Sugar: Brings out the flavour of the curry and balances the recipe. You can use brown sugar, coconut sugar, cane sugar or even maple syrup.
- Vegetable Broth: Any store-bought carton or cube broth or homemade broth works.
- Chickpeas: You’ll need 1 15 oz can, drained and well-rinsed. If you prefer, you can cook the chickpeas from scratch, in which case you’ll need about 1.5 cups cooked.
- Quinoa: I like to give the quinoa a good rinse under cold water before use. Any colour of quinoa works!
- Diced tomatoes: If you can’t find a 14 oz can, you can use half of a 28 oz can (about 1.5 cups) and save the rest for another use like chili or soup!
Step-by-Step with Photos
Before you start: Prepare the sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and jalapeno. Gather the spices and broth and rinse the quinoa so you’re all ready to go.
Step 1: In a large pot or skillet with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and jalapeno and cook for about 6 minute until tender and fragrant.
Step 2: Add the spices, broth, chickpeas, diced tomato, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
Step 3: Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender and the sweet potato is cooked through.
Adjust the seasoning if needed and serve topped with fresh cilantro.
- Oil-Free Option: Use water or broth instead of olive oil.
- Any colour of bell pepper works if you don’t have green pepper on hand.
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice is nice to brighten it up at the end.
- To swap out the protein, omit the chickpeas and serve with baked tofu (or you can do chickpeas and tofu).
- I recommend give the quinoa a good rinse under cold water before use.
- Additional veggies that work well are broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, kale and spinach. If adding greens like kale or spinach, stir them in at the very end, just enough to wilt and heat through.
- Fridge: Let cool then store up to 5 days in a sealed container.
- Freezer: Let cool then store in a good freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Can be enjoyed cold or reheated stovetop or in the microwave.
- Curried Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Chickpea Quinoa Stew
- Teriyaki Quinoa Bowl
- Vegan Curried Lentils and Quinoa
- Curried Cauliflower Sweet Potato Soup
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
Delicious and healthy, vegan one pan curried quinoa and sweet potato that’s perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal or side dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (15 g)
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1–2 cm cubes (150 g)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (200 g)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red or green jalapeno, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable broth (236 mL)
- 1 can (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 ¼ cup uncooked quinoa (225 g)
- 1 ½ cup canned diced tomatoes (14 oz can or half of a 28 oz can)
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, for topping (optional)
- Wash and chopped all the vegetables so you’re ready to go.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Cook the sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and jalapenos, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes, until slightly tender.
- Add the spices, broth, chickpeas, quinoa, diced tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, cover and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally until the quinoa and sweet potato are cooked through, adding a little more broth if needed as it cooks.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Garnish with cilantro when ready to serve.
- This dish can be kept up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge, you can also freeze it up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 380
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 461 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 66 g
- Fiber: 13 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: one pan quinoa, curried quinoa