Vegan Chickpea Quinoa Stew
This gluten-free and vegan chickpea quinoa stew features a delicious broth made from spices, coconut milk and tomatoes that makes a warming, flavourful and nourishing base for chickpeas, quinoa and veggies.
This veggie stew is hearty, healthy and easy to make in 30 minutes. You’ll love it for meal prep as the flavours only improve the next day but it’s also quick and easy enough to throw together any night of the week.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.
- Easy to make in 30 minutes with simple ingredients.
- Perfect for meal prep, stores well and flavours only improve with time.
- Great freezer-meal you can pull as needed for dinner in a pinch.
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Veggies: The recipe calls for carrot, celery, onion and onion. I’d recommend using all of them though the amounts don’t have to be exact.
- Garlic and Ginger: Use fresh if you have them though the fresh ginger can be substituted with 1 tsp ground ginger if needed.
- Spices: You’ll need curry powder, cumin and coriander. I’d recommend using all 3 for the best flavour.
- Broth: Any homemade or store-bought carton, cube or powder broth works.
- Quinoa: Any variety works. I like tricolour quinoa for a pop of colour!
- Diced Tomatoes: Any kind works. I like fire-roasted best though!
- Chickpeas: Canned chickpeas work just fine but you can use cooked from scratch too if you prefer.
- Coconut Milk: Light or full-fat coconut milk works here.
- Step 1: Saute the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and ginger for a few minutes.
- Step 2: Add the spices and cook another couple minutes.
- Step 3: Add the broth, quinoa and tomatoes and simmer.
- Step 4: Add the chickpeas, coconut milk and cilantro and enjoy!
Notes & Tips
- The veggies are easy to customize. I’d keep the carrot, onion, garlic and ginger but feel free to add an additional 1-2 cups of celery, bell pepper, sweet potato or potato (peel and cut into small cubes) or zucchini.
- If you’d like to add spice to the recipe, add up to 1 tsp cayenne pepper or chili flakes along with the other spices.
- Quinoa can be substituted with long-grain white rice or red lentils.
- Let cool before storing.
- Fridge: Store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Store in a freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Stew will thicken after storing. Enjoy as is or adjust the consistency by storing in some water or broth.
- Curried Chickpea Potato Stew
- Vegan Chickpea Curry Stew
- Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Stew
- Curried Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
This hearty stew is so full of flavour and nutrition you’ll want to keep it in rotation year-round. It’s high in fibre, low in fat and contains 9 grams of plant-based protein per serving and the quinoa and chickpeas taste amazing paired up with veggies in a curried coconut tomato broth.
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrot (130 g, about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup chopped celery (130 g, about 3 medium ribs)
- 1 heaping cup diced white onion (175 g, 1/2 a large or one small onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth (625 mL)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (80 g)
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with the juices
- 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked, 360 g)
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk (or full-fat for a thicker, creamier stew)
- 1/2 cup packed, fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and ginger to a large soup pot with 2 tbsp of the vegetable broth and cook for 6-7 minutes over medium heat until softened and fragrant, stirring often.
- Stir in the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, quinoa and diced tomatoes and lightly simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked.
- Stir in the chickpeas, coconut milk and cilantro, turn off the heat and let it sit another 5-10 minutes to thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste and enjoy right away.
Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Stew will thicken after storing. Enjoy as is or adjust consistency by stirring in some broth or water. If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe (approx. 350 g)
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: chickpea quinoa stew
Originally published January 16, 2018.