Vegan Chickpea Quinoa Stew
This gluten-free, vegan chickpea quinoa stew lands somewhere between a stew and a hearty soup. The broth is made from Indian spices, coconut milk and diced tomatoes and makes a warming, flavourful and nourishing base for chickpeas, quinoa and veggies.
This veggie stew is hearty, healthy, easy to make in under 30 minutes, made with simple ingredients and can be made in advance as part of your weekly meal prep. However, since it’s so quick and easy, it also makes a great choice for a quick and satisfying weeknight dinner too. The flavours only improve the next day!
- Curried Chickpea Potato Stew
- Vegan Chickpea Curry Stew
- Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Stew
- Curried Chickpea Quinoa Salad
- Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrot (130 g, about 2 large carrots)
- 1 cup chopped celery (130 g, about 3 medium ribs)
- 1 heaping cup diced white onion (175 g, 1/2 a large or one small onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (80 g)
- 1 28 oz. can no-salt added diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups cooked, 330 g)
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk (or full-fat for a thicker, creamier stew)
- 1/2 cup packed, fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and ginger to a large soup pot with 2 tbsp of the vegetable broth and cook for 6-7 minutes over medium heat until softened and fragrant, stirring often.
- Stir in the spices and cook for another minute.
- Add 2 cups of the broth, quinoa and diced tomatoes and lightly simmer for 15 minutes until the quinoa is cooked.
- Stir in the chickpeas, coconut milk and cilantro, turn off the heat and let it sit another 5-10 minutes to thicken. If needed, stir in the additional 1 cup of vegetable broth to adjust the thickness. Consider it will thicken after storing.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
- Calories: 197
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 33 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: chickpea quinoa stew