Chickpea Peanut Stew
This vegan peanut chickpea stew makes a healthy and delicious one pot meal that’s ready in about 30 minutes.
- Dietary: Vegan, gluten-free, can be oil-free.
- Perfect for meal prep – keep well in the fridge or freezer and flavours improve with time.
- Easy 1-pot meal that’s ready in about 30 minutes with basic pantry ingredients.
- Nutritious and full of flavour!
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Oil: Totally fine to skip the oil and just use a bit of water or broth! Otherwise, olive oil, coconut oil or avocado oil works.
- Diced Tomatoes: I like fire-roasted diced tomatoes best but any kind works! Use a no-salt added variety if sodium is a concern.
- Peanut Butter: Use natural peanut butter with no added oil or sugar.
- Spinach: Any greens work here. Try kale, spinach or chard.
- Broth: Any kind of vegetable broth or stock works. The better quality, the better the flavour of the final dish. You can use carton, cubes/bouillon powder or homemade.
- Chickpeas: Canned is easy for convenience but if you cook your own that works too.
- Rice: Jasmine, basmati or any long-grain white rice works. Quick-cooked brown rice would also work.
- Fridge: Store in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Let cool then store in a sealed container or single-serving containers for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: If frozen, thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat stovetop or in the microwave until heated through.
- Curried Chickpea Potato Stew
- Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
- Vegan Chickpea Curry Stew
- Butternut Squash Lentil Stew
- Vegan Chickpea Quinoa Stew
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- 1 tsp olive oil or water
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (15 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (20 g)
- 1 medium onion, diced (250 g)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp black pepper, or more to taste
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or more to taste
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups, 300 g)
- 1 x 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, with the juices
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (120 g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (750 mL)
- ¾ cup jasmine or basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 6 cups lightly packed, fresh baby spinach (150 g)
- 1 x 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1.5 cups)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat then add the oil or water, garlic, ginger and onion to a large pot and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the spices, salt, pepper and tomato paste and sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add everything except the lime, spinach and chickpeas. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer for approximately 20 minutes until the rice is cooked, the carrots are fork tender and the stew has thickened.
- Stir in the lime, spinach and chickpeas and turn off the heat. Let sit for a few minutes to allow the spinach to wilt.
- Serve right away topped with fresh cilantro, if desired.
Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Oil-Free & Nut-Free Options: For an oil-free recipe, saute using water or broth. For a nut-free recipe, use sunflower seed butter or Wowbutter instead of peanut butter. For a peanut-free recipe, almond butter or cashew butter works!
Keywords: chickpea stew, peanut chickpea stew