This Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Stew is hearty, nutritious and extra flavourful thanks to warming spices and healthy dose of peanut butter. It’s made with chickpeas, tomato, green pepper and sweet potato so it’s packed with fibre, vitamins and minerals plus it can be ready in under 30 minutes in just one pot on the stove.
Soups and Stews
I’ve been making soup after soup lately and I don’t really see any end in sight until the weather starts to warm up. They’re so just easy, healthy and delicious. Soups and stews are perfect for winter meal prep too, they keep well and the flavours only get better after a day or too. If you’re looking for more easy soups and stews, check out these favourites:
- Healthy Kale and Cauliflower Soup
- Slow Cooker Root Vegetable Stew
- Cauliflower Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup
- Red Lentil Tomato Soup
- Creamy Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Soup
- Curried Ginger Carrot Soup
Soups are also great for plant-based beginners and are a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet. You can make soup from pretty much any veggie. Carrots, leeks, potato, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, squash, you name it, it can go in a soup.
Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Stew
This vegetable peanut stew is very easy to make and comes together in under 30 minutes. It’s thick, loaded with healthy vegetables, very filling and has the most amazing, slightly sweet and perfectly peanutty flavour.
For vegetables you’ll need:
onion, celery and garlic, green and red bell pepper, sweet potato and diced tomatoes
For spices it has a beautiful, Morrocan-inspired blend of:
ginger, coriander, turmeric, cumin and cinnamon
Once you’ve got everything you need, it’s just matter of simmering it all in vegetable broth until the sweet potato is tender then stirring in chickpea, peanut butter, lemon, cilantro and chopped dates.
This stew is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, grain-free and has no added sugar.Print
This Moroccan-inspired Vegan Sweet Potato Stew with Chickpeas is hearty, nutritious and extra flavourful thanks to warming spices and healthy dose of peanut butter. It’s made with chickpeas, tomato, bell pepper and sweet potato so it’s packed with fibre, vitamins and minerals. Plus it can be ready in under 30 minutes in just one pot on the stove.
- 1 small white onion, diced (1 heaping cup, 175 g)
- 3 ribs celery, chopped (1 heaping cup, 150 g)
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and diced (1 cup, 150 g)
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced (1 cup, 150 g)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp each of cumin, turmeric, ginger and coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups, peeled and diced sweet potato (400 g)
- 1 28 oz can no-salt added diced tomatoes with their juices
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter (60 g)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped, pitted dates (50 g, sub raisins if needed)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed finely chopped cilantro (20 g)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and black or white pepper, to taste
- In a soup pot over medium heat, cook the celery, onion and garlic in 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the bell peppers and sweet potato and stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable broth and diced tomatoes and simmer lightly, uncovered, until the sweet potato is tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, dates or raisins, peanut butter, lemon and cilantro. Stir until the peanut butter is completely mixed in. Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve right away topped with fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts, if desired.
- store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 236
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fiber: 8.5 g
- Protein: 9 g