Gingerbread Protein Balls
These vegan gingerbread protein balls can be made in 5 minutes with just 6 simple ingredients and they taste like gingerbread cookie dough!
- you’ll need just 5 minutes and 6 ingredients
- no baking or blending required!
- tastes like gingerbread cookie dough
- vegan, gluten-free, oil-free
- great for a quick snack or healthy dessert
- nut butter – use natural peanut butter, cashew butter or almond butter or make them nut-free by using sunflower seed butter
- protein powder – use a pea protein-based powder such as Vega, this recipe has not been tested with whey protein and I wouldn’t recommend it as the absorbability is very different than pea protein
- ground flax – make sure you use ground flax not whole seeds
- molasses – I used blackstrap molasses but any molasses works
- spices – the recipe calls for ginger and cinnamon but if you’re missing one, no big deal, even with out they’re yummy!
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir together until thoroughly combined and it forms a thick dough.
Roll into balls and enjoy!
Quick Note: They’re quite soft right after rolling but will firm up after storing in the fridge.
Leave them plain or try rolling them in an optional coating for an extra treat:
- coconut sugar
- cinnamon sugar
- crushed nuts
- finely shredded coconut
- cocoa powder
This recipe is made specifically for protein powder but I have two gingerbread energy balls that are made without it.
Try my raw gingerbread bites and nut-free gingerbread balls for protein powder-free recipes!
They have a very strong molasses cookie flavour, especially if you use blackstrap molasses. The protein powder you use will also contribute to the overall flavour, so make sure you use one you like!
Yep! Just use sunflower seed butter or Wowbutter instead of nut butter.
- Fridge: Store in a sealed container for up to 1 weeks.
- Freezer: Store in a sealed container for up to 3 months. Thaw briefly at room temperature or in the fridge before enjoying.
- Room Temperature: Ok at room temperature if taking to-go but they’ll start to get soft if it’s warm. Keep cool is possible.
Love gingerbread? Don’t miss this Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie and these No-Bake Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies.
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
Vegan Gingerbread Protein Balls
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Delicious, no-bake gingerbread energy balls you can make in 5 minutes with protein powder, almond butter and molasses! No blending or baking required!
- 1/2 cup drippy almond or cashew butter (60 g)
- 1/3 cup vegan vanilla protein powder (35 g)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (28 g)
- 3 tbsp blackstrap molasses (60 g)
- 1 tbsp water (15 ml)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (1 g)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (1 g)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, optional
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix until it forms a thick dough.
- Use your hands to roll into balls.
- Place in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm and enjoy!
Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week or freezer for up to 2 weeks. Okay at room temperature if taking to-go but they will start to get soft if it’s warm. Keep cool if possible.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 124
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: gingerbread energy balls, molasses energy balls
Just like gingerbread cookie dough! And my boyfriends likes them too.
These look delicious. I’m getting bored with grabbing a handful of nuts as a snack so I really need to start making healthy snacks again. I’m going to make these. Thanks for a great recipe idea.
I hope you enjoy them! They make a great snack! So yummy.