Maca Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
These easy, no-bake vegan chocolate chip cookie dough balls are made withfor an energizing snack that tastes like cookie dough!
- dietary needs: vegan, gluten-free and oil-free (can be sugar-free if sugar-free are used)
- nutrition details: each ball contains 3/4 tsp of
- quick and easy: you’ll need just 10 minutes and 4 ingredients plus vanilla and
- cashews – use plain, with no added oil or salt
- dates – any variety works (I like sayer and medjool best) as long as they’re soft and moist, if not, you’ll need to soak them first
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Dough Bites or Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites) – can be substituted with or (or try these
- vanilla – use if possible, if not, artificial will be fine
- – adds a cookie dough flavour, use a good quality like Maldon, grey or pink
- – use dairy-free to keep the recipe vegan, I suggest Enjoy Life or Camino or for sugar-free , Lily’s
- baking soda – totally optional but I find a little pinch of baking soda lends to the cookie dough flavour!
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Quick Tip: If your dates are overly dry, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using. Most dates should be fine to use without soaking but if you proceed and the dough is too crumbly, you can add 1-2 tsp of water when blending.
Step 1. Add the cashews to yourfirst. Mix into a coarse, grainy flour. A few larger chunks left behind are ok.
Step 2. Add everything else, except theand process into a thick dough.
It should start to come together into one big clump. The dough should be sticky and you should easily be able to press it together between your fingers.
Quick Tip: If the dough is too crumbly add 1 tsp of warm water and process again. Usually 1 tsp does the trick but you may need to repeat 1-2 times.
Step 3. Add the
Use your hands to roll the dough into balls then enjoy for an energizing snack!
Notes and Tips
- Dates: Be sure to use soft, moist dates. If your dates are overly dry, soak them in hot water (pit first) for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe.
- Cashews: Cashews are the best nut for cookie dough balls due to their soft texture and mild flavour. I don’t recommend substituting them but if you must, you can use almonds or , or a mixture of those 3.
- : This recipe works best with the fine texture of powdered but the best option for substituting is or vanilla flavoured pea protein.
How to Store
- Fridge: In an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Freezer (Recommended): In an airtight container or freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
- Room temperature: They’ll start to get soft but they’re okay at room temperature for a couple days if you’re taking them to-go. Keep cool if possible for best results.
- Maca Mocha Energy Bites
- Raw Hemp Seed Maca Balls
- Pecan Pie Balls
- Lime & Coconut Energy Bites
- No-Bake Java Chip Bites
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
- Place the cashews in a high-powered blender or food processor and mix until broken down. A few larger chunks left behind is ok but they should resemble a coarse flour.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the chocolate chips and mix until it forms a thick, sticky dough you can easily press together between your fingers. If it’s not coming together, add 1 tsp warm water and process again. That should do the trick but you may need to repeat (this is due to using dry dates, see notes on soaking first).
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse a few times to mix through.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into 16 balls.
Baking Soda: Totally optional ingredient but I find it lends to the cookie dough flavour if you want to give it a try.
Storing: Sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Sealed container or freezer-safe bag for up to 2 months. Okay at room temperature for a day or two, they’ll just get a little soft. If you’re taking them to-go, try to keep cool and they’ll last for a couple days.
Maca: Each ball contains 3/4 tsp of maca. Can be substituted with vegan vanilla protein powder or powdered peanut butter.
Dates: It’s important to use soft, moist dates as they bind the recipe. If your dates are overly dry, remove the pits then soak in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain well before using in the recipe.
Nutrition facts include 1/4 cup of chocolate chips.
Keywords: maca energy balls, chocolate chip cookie dough balls
Originally published on July 20, 2016. Updated with new photos and text on October 1, 2020.