For the Shawarma Chickpeas
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (2 15 oz cans drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp each coriander, garlic powder, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, salt and pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes if you want it spicy!
For the Salad
- 1 cup chopped kale per serving (plus a little olive oil for massaging)
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber per serving
- 1/4 cup diced tomato per serving
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley per serving
- a few tbsp pickled onions per serving (see notes)
- pita for serving, optional
For the Tahini Lemon Sauce
- Prepare the pickled red onion if you haven’t already.
- Massage the kale with 1/2 tsp of olive oil to soften. Set aside.
- Chop the cucumber, tomato and parsley.
- Whisk the tahini sauce ingredients together until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpeas, lemon and spices and heat through, about 5-10 minutes.
- While they’re cooking, divide the kale, chopped veggies and pickled onions between 4 bowls or containers. Divide the chickpeas between each bowl then top each with tahini sauce. Serve with pita and if desired, hummus.
To make pickled red onions, thinly slice a red onion and place in a bowl. Pour boiling water over it, enough to cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain. Add the onion to a jar with enough vinegar to cover, add 2 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt. They’ll be ready to eat in about 30 minutes (less is fine, just won’t be as flavourful) and can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Hummus and olives are good in this salad too.
The chickpeas and tahini sauce make enough for 4 salads. Adjust the salad ingredients accordingly for however many servings you are making.
Keywords: shawarma salad, shawarma chickpea salad, easy, healthy, plant-based, vegetarian