Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal
This strawberry rhubarb oatmeal is the perfect way to use up extra rhubarb. It’s fruity and delicious with just a little tang. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and can be sugar-free.
How to Make it as Overnight Oats
To make this recipe as overnight oats, you’ll have to cook the rhubarb separately first. Unless you don’t mind eating it raw that is. To cook it, simply add it to a small sauce pan with a splash of water and cook over medium heat until softened, now it’s ready to use in strawberry rhubarb overnight oats.
For the overnight oats, add the cooked rhubarb and the rest of the ingredients to a container and shake or still well to combine. Place in the fridge overnight and it will be ready to enjoy in the morning.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- This can be made with water or any plant-based milk.
- You can use ground flax instead of chia seeds.
- See tips below for how to make it as overnight oats.
- For sweetening options, sweeten to taste using 1-2 tbsp maple syrup, agave, coconut sugar, organic cane sugar, brown sugar or sucanut.
- For sugar-free oatmeal, sweeten with powdered stevia or liquid stevia drops. I use either 10 drops of liquid stevia or 1 packet of powdered stevia. Monk fruit sweetener would also work as a sugar-free option.
Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Recipe
This delicious bowl of oatmeal is perfect for the Summer months when rhubarb is in season. If you love strawberry rhubarb crisp, you’ll love this sweet, tangy, fruity porridge.
- pecans, slivered almonds or walnuts
- fresh sliced strawberries or banana
- chia seed jam
- stewed rhubarb
- sautéed apples
More Oatmeal Recipes
Loving this healthy oatmeal? You might like these recipes too:Print
If you love strawberry rhubarb crisp, you’ll love this fresh and fruity bowl of oatmeal.
- 1 cup plant-based milk of choice or water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1–2 tbsp sweetener of choice, see notes
- 1/2 cup (50 g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen sliced strawberries
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Bring the milk or water to a light simmer in a small saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5-7 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 3-5 minutes to further thicken, then scoop into a bowl and serve with additional fresh sliced strawberries and a drizzle of plant-based milk and/or maple syrup.
Sweetening options: coconut sugar, monk fruit sweetener, brown sugar, maple syrup or agave, or stevia to taste for sugar-free oatmeal.
Keywords: rhubarb oatmeal, strawberry oatmeal