Chickpea Bell Pepper Salad
This Chickpea Bell Pepper Salad is vegan, gluten-free, oil-free and easy to make in minutes. Enjoy this salad as a side at a Summer BBQ or potluck or serve as a light and healthy main dish.
Originally Published: February 15, 2015
Here’s what you’ll need to make this bright and beautiful bell pepper salad:
- Bell Peppers. You’ll need 3 bells peppers in total. I’d recommend using 3 different colours for a fun, tri-color salad but any kind of peppers will do. I used green, yellow and red.
- Cucumber. I used half a cucumber but there’s no need to be exact for this recipe. Anywhere from a half to a whole cucumber works great.
- Chickpeas. I used a 19 oz can of chickpeas for this recipe. This works out to 2 cups or 330 grams once drained and rinsed. You can use your own cooked chickpeas, of course and if you’re using 15 oz cans, you’ll need to pop open two of them to get 2 cups of chickpeas. You can throw 2 full cans in or save the extra for another recipe.
- Tahini. The main flavouring for this salad is delicious, creamy tahini.
- Dressing. To keep things super simple, I didn’t mix up a separate dressing for this recipe. You can go ahead and add the dressing ingredients right into the salad and mix. I used lemon, garlic, smoked paprika, white wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
As for the smoked paprika in there, you can certainly substitute regular paprika or even leave it out all together, but I’d recommend adding a jar of smoked paprika to your kitchen for its smoky flavour and aroma.
It’s made from pimiento peppers that have been dried, smoked and then ground. It’s not spicy and actually quite mild and sweet, I use it in all sorts of dishes, from salad dressings, to sprinkling on baked potatoes, to spicing a tofu scramble.
Smoked paprika can sometimes labelled sweet paprika, pimento, smoked pimento or Spanish paprika, so watch for those names if you’re having trouble finding it. If you’re unsure of where to find it in your area, you can also order a bottle here.
Bell Pepper Salad Recipe
This simple bell pepper salad takes just 10 minutes to put together. Just a little chopping and mixing and it’s ready to serve. This light and fresh dish with cucumber, parsley, tahini and raisins makes a lovely side to a veggie burger and is perfect for a quick dinner on a warm evening.
More Easy Vegan Salads
Loving this easy bell pepper salad? You might like these too:Print
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp tahini (60 g)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 19 oz. can chickpeas, drained and well-rinsed (2 cups)
- 1/2 a cucumber, diced
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Keywords: bell pepper salad, bell pepper cucumber salad, healthy, fresh, colored