Blueberry Crisp (Healthy & Oil-Free)
This gluten-free and vegan blueberry crisp features an oil-free crumble piled on top of sweet, gooey blueberries. This is the ultimate Summer dessert!
- Dietary Needs: Vegan, nut-free and gluten-free.
- Low in Fat: No oil or butter needed. Enjoy this lightened up dessert for breakfast or any time of the day.
- Naturally sweetened with maple syrup.
What You’ll Need
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Blueberries: Fresh is best in this recipe.
- Cornstarch: The cornstarch helps thicken up the blueberry filling, it can be replaced with arrowroot powder.
- Rolled Oats: You can use rolled oats for the topping as well as to make the oat flour.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is best in this recipe but it can be subbed with agave if needed.
- Applesauce: Applesauce replaces butter in this recipe for a lightened-up and dairy-free version of this classic dessert.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Make the blueberry filling by mixing the blueberries with the cornstarch and lemon juice.
Step 2. Make the topping by mixing up the oats, oat flour, cinnamon, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
Quick Tip: If you don’t have oat flour on hand, add 50 grams of oats to a blender and process into a fine flour.
Step 3. Add the blueberries to an 8-9 inch baking dish and top with the oat crumble. Bake for 35-40 minutes until browned and bubbly.
After baking, let it sit for 15 minutes then enjoy warm with a big scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream!
Storing & Serving
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Enjoy cold or reheat as needed in the oven or in the microwave.
- Serve with coconut whipped cream, coconut yogurt or your favourite dairy-free ice cream.
Yes. If freezing, bake first then cover well and freeze up to 3 months. You can thaw and reheat or reheat from frozen in the oven at 350 F until heated through.
- Grain-Free Vegan Apple Crisp
- No-Bake Lime Mango Cheesecake
- Healthy Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Blueberry Crumble Bars
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
This gluten-free and vegan, healthy blueberry crisp is easy to make, oil-free, and perfect for Summer!
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9” square baking dish or 9” pie plate with cooking spray.
- Toss blueberries with cornstarch and lemon juice and add to the baking dish.
- Combine all topping ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and combine well.
- Sprinkle topping mixture evenly over blueberries. It likes to clump up in the bowl so make sure to break it up as you add it to the dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the topping is browned and the berries begin to bubble around the edges.
- Let rest/cool for 15-20 minutes before serving, to allow time for thickening.
Frozen berries do not work well as they are too wet.
If you don’t have oat flour on hand, add 1/2 cup or 50 grams of oats to a blender and process into a fine flour. Oat flour may be subbed with wheat flour, spelt flour or a gluten-free flour blend.
Leftovers may be stored in a sealed container in the fridge up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Try any fresh berries such as strawberries, raspberries or blackberries. Peaches, apple and rhubarb also work. Try mixing and matching too – peach blueberry, strawberry blueberry and apple blueberry all work well.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 14.9 g
- Sodium: 3.7 mg
- Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.5 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 3.7 g
Keywords: healthy blueberry crisp, vegan blueberry crisp