20-Minute Dumbell Metcon
Build strength and improve your conditioning with this HIIT-style 20-minute dumbbell metcon workout. All you need is 1 dumbbell and 20 minutes. Get ready to sweat!
Choose your own warm-up or give this a go before starting the conditioning workout. Complete 3 rounds:
- 30-seconds jog in place
- 30-seconds high knees
- 30-seconds butt kickers
- 10 bodyweight squats
- 10 reverse lunges
- 10 glute bridges
- 20 high-plank shoulder taps
Start each set of 3 rounds every 5 minutes, on the minute. For example, start a timer and complete 3 rounds of 10 single-arm thrusters and 10 burpees, then rest until the timer gets to 5:00. At 5:00, complete 3 rounds of the snatches and push-ups, then rest until 10:00. At 10:00, complete 3 rounds of the lunges and push press etc.
Every 5 minutes, on the minute, perform:
0-5:00 – Complete 3 Rounds as Fast as Possible:
- 10 single-arm dumbbell thrusters (5 per side)
- 10 burpees
5:00-10:00 – Complete 3 Rounds as Fast as Possible:
- 10 single-arm dumbbell power snatches (5 per side)
- 10 push-ups
10:00-15:00 – Complete 3 Rounds as Fast as Possible:
- 20 reverse goblet lunges
- 10 single-arm dumbbell push press (5 per side)
15:00-20:00 – Complete 3 Rounds as Fast as Possible:
- 20 goblet squats
- 10 single-arm devil’s press (5 per side)
- The suggested weight is 35 lbs. for women and 50 lbs. for men. If you only have light dumbbells, use two for the thrusters, cleans and push press and double the reps for the snatches. A kettlebell also works.
- Each set of 3 rounds is meant to be a sprint so move fast and push yourself!
- You should be getting about 1:45-2 minutes after each set. The last one will take a little longer but when you’re done, you’re done!
- The last one sucks, have fun!
Can I do this workout with a barbell?
Sure! I would suggest a 65 lb. barbell for ladies and a 95 lb. barbell for men. Instead of single-arm workout, do 10 thrusters, 10 snatches, push press and 10 cleans. Instead of goblet squats and lunges, hold the barbell in a front rack or back rack position.
How can I adjust this workout to my fitness level?
If you’re getting less than 1-minute rest between segments, I would suggest adjusting the workout to better suit your fitness level. The goal is still to complete each segment in about 3 minutes. Here are a few ways to scale it:
- Do bodyweight lunges and squats instead of holding a goblet position.
- Use lighter weights. Try a 20 lb dumbell and see if that works for you.
- Scale the push-ups to your knees or from a box.
- Do no-jump and/or no push-up burpees.
If you’re getting less than 1:00, use lighter weights or increase the time segments to every 6 minutes.
- No-Equipment Bodyweight Workout
- Full-Body Superset Workout
- Bodyweight Conditioning Workout
- Core and Upper Body Circuit Workout
- Sprints and Burpee Cardio Workout