I’ve made veggie patties at home many, many times before but they almost almost fall apart. You can imagine how happy I was to find tonights chickpea veggie burgers sticking together throughout cooking and eating. Not only did they stick together but the taste was awesome!
I found myself sneaking bites of the uncooked mixture as I was making the patties. Feel free to sample as you go – no raw eggs or meat involved!
This wonderful patties are an excellent alternative to those store-bought versions that pretend to be veggie burgers. Have you ever read the list of ingredients in some of those products?! Wow! There’s not much resembling vegetables in them and they’re often packed with preservatives, sodium and other nasty additives.
Years ago, I used to buy those frozen, boxed veggie burgers and other meat-wannabe products, but these days I just can’t stomach those yucky ingredients and honestly the taste leaves plenty to be desired. Homemade patties to the rescue!
In addition to being full of flavour, these patties only take about 10 minutes to prep and you probably have most of the ingredients already!
Feel free to switch up the spices and flavours as needed but I love the tangy red wine vinegar with the peanut butter, Sirracha and cilantro. It doesn’t quite sound like it should work but it really does, I swear!
In the end I ate this patty on a toasted whole-wheat bun topped with avocado, salsa and lettuce but I had to take a few fancy, pretty pictures first! Tomorrow I’ll eat a few patties over salad for lunch. They will even work as a healthy and filling grab-n-go snack since they actually hold together!
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, well-rinsed,and mashed
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 1 small zuchinni, grated
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup quick oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, place them in a bowl and mash them with a fork.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl.
- Use your hands to mix very well.
- Form into 6-8 patties.
- Cook on the BBQ around 400 F for approximately 10 minutes each side.
- You can also fry these in a pan with some oil for 3-5 minutes a side.