Vegan Sweet Potato Curry
This vegan sweet potato curry with peas and tofu is easy to make, healthy and full of flavour. This dish takes less than 25 minutes to make and is gluten-free, oil-free and sugar-free. Enjoy served over rice, quinoa or other whole grain of choice.
This is a great recipe for beginner plant-based eaters. It’s quick, easy and only requires a few basic ingredients. Enjoy this flavourful, vegan dish served over your favourite whole grain for a wholesome, filling plant-based meal.
This can also be served over cauliflower rice for a lower-carb and grain-free option.
This is a simple, green curry that calls for just a handful of everyday ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Sweet Potato. You’ll need 2 cups of cubed sweet potato for this recipe. I haven’t tried it but I imagine this would also be tasty with regular potato, so if you don’t have sweet potato on hand, why not give it a try? That being said, the sweet potato does add a wonderful sweetness to the dish.
- Green peas. You’ll need 1 cup of fresh or frozen green peas. I used frozen green peas because I always have them on hand for quick recipes.
- Curry paste. I went with green curry paste for this recipe but you could also use red curry paste. I like Thai Kitchen curry pastes since they do not contain anchovy or fish sauce.
- Light coconut milk. You’ll need 1 can of light coconut milk to create the creamy base of the recipe. You can use full-fat coconut milk if you like for an even creamier curry. I like using light coconut milk to bring the fat down in the recipe but I also find full-fat coconut milk just a bit too heavy for my liking. Both work well though.
- Onion, garlic and ginger. You’ll need onion, garlic and ginger to enhance the flavour of the recipe. These are all staples in my kitchen so I’m always ready for recipes like this!
- Soy sauce. You can use soy sauce or gluten-free tamari to add depth of flavour to the recipe.
- Tofu. I added firm tofu to the recipe to bump up the protein content. You can leave it out if you want or substitute chickpeas. There’s nothing special that needs to be done with the tofu. Just cube it and stir it in when you add the peas.
How to Make this Recipe
To prepare this dish in under 25 minutes, heat a pan over medium heat and start chopping the ginger, onion and garlic. Get those cooking in the pan. After 5 minutes, stir in the green curry paste.
While those cook, chop the sweet potato and get the peas, coconut milk and soy sauce ready. Add everything except the peas and tofu to the pan and simmer until the sweet potato is just about done – this should take about 10-15 minutes.
While the sweet potato is simmering, prepare the tofu. Once the sweet potato is tender, add the rest of the ingredients, mix it up and you’re done!
This curry is best served over quinoa, basmati or jasmine rice or brown rice to soak up all the yummy, creamy curry sauce. I’d recommend using quick-cooking brown or white rice or quinoa, unless you already have some cooked whole grains on hand.
The curry can be served topped with chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Crushed peanuts or cashews also work well.
More Easy Curry Recipes
- Thai Red Curry Lentils
- Easy Vegetable Chickpea Curry
- Thai Red Curry Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Chickpea Curry
- Kabocha Squash Curry
- Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Scroll down to the comment section to leave a star rating and review.
This simple but delicious curry recipe calls for just a handful of everyday ingredients. Whip this up for a healthy weeknight dinner, served over your favourite rice.
- 1 small or half a medium-sized white onion, approx. 1.5 cups.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp green curry paste (can also be made with red curry paste)
- 2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 1 14 oz can light coconut milk (use full-fat if desired)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- half a 225 g package firm or extra-firm tofu, cubed
- rice of choice or quinoa, for serving
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger to a large pan with 2 tbsp water and start cooking over medium heat. Cook while stirring for 4-6 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the curry paste and stir to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, coconut milk and soy sauce and simmer lightly until the sweet potato is tender, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in the green peas and tofu. Stir to combine, turn off the heat and let sit on the element for 5 minutes to thicken a little.
- Serve over your choice of whole grain or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 374
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 478 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 54 g
- Fiber: 17 g
- Protein: 19 g
Keywords: sweet potato coconut curry, sweet potato curry