Easy Vegetable Curry with Tofu
This quick and easy vegetable curry with coconut milk, tofu and brown rice makes a great option for a weeknight dinner. It’s ready in 15 minutes, tastes great and is vegan and oil-free.
Easy Vegetable Curry Ingredients
This simple recipe is a good one to keep in your back pocket for those nights when you don’t feel like spending much time in the kitchen. Here are the basic ingredients you’ll need to make it:
- Vegetables. I used bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, spinach, garlic and onion in this recipe but you can customize it with any veggies you want. Bok choy and other Chinese veggies work well, celery and zucchini are good choices or try some snow or snap peas.
- Coconut Milk. I used a 14 oz can of full-fat coconut milk for a thick and creamy coconut curry. If you prefer, you can use light coconut milk to reduce the fat but otherwise the dish is quite low in calories so I’d recommend using the full-fat coconut milk. I like to stock a couple cans of coconut milk in the pantry so I’m always ready for a quick curry. You can learn more about what to stock in a vegan pantry here.
- Curry Powder. To keep this recipe super simple, the only spice I used is curry powder, which is actually a blend of other spices like turmeric and cumin. I used a mild yellow curry powder which you should be able to find at any well-stocked grocery store. I did include optional red pepper flakes in the recipe in case you like some spice to your curry. I added 1 heaping tsp to mine. If you don’t want it spicy, just leave it out.
- Soy Sauce. Soy sauce just adds a little touch of extra flavour. You can use gluten-free tamari if needed. Coconut aminos also works.
- Coconut sugar. I like a little hint of sweetness in my curries and I love the flavour coconut sugar adds. You can also use a bit of pure maple syrup or any other granulated sugar.
- Tofu. Since this is a quick and easy recipe, there’s nothing much to do with the tofu. Simply cube it and toss it right into the pan a few minutes before finishing to allow it to heat. I used firm tofu but medium or extra-firm would also be suitable.
- Brown rice (optional). I serve this over brown rice so it can soak up all the curry goodness.
Basic Vegetable Curry Recipe
This is one of my go-to weeknight dinners. It’s quick and easy and you can use any veggies you want so it’s great for cleaning out the fridge. I’d recommend serving it over brown rice so it can soak up the curry sauce. Quinoa works well too or you can use any kind of noodle or even cauliflower rice.
Much like my simple veggie stir fry, this curry is very basic and meant to serve as a go-to vegan recipe you can customize as needed. I make curries like this often and it’s very easy to just eyeball the ingredients. Use any and as much veggies as you like, add some coconut milk and spices and you’re done!
More Easy Curry Recipes
Loving this simple curry? You’ll like these too:
- Easy Chickpea Curry
- Tofu and Edamame Buddha Bowl
- Vegan Panang Curry
- Easy Vegetable Green Curry
- Sweet Potato Curry
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 1.5 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1.5 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 1–2 tsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don’t want it spicy)
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- 1 package firm or extra-firm tofu, cubed
- cooked brown rice or quinoa, for serving
- pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- Add everything except the spinach, tofu and brown rice to a large skillet or wok and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cook for until the veggies are tender. It should be about 10 minutes total cooking time from when you turn the heat on until it’s done.
- Stir in the cubed tofu and spinach. Stir to combine and until the spinach is wilted and mixed in.
- Serve over brown rice or quinoa and topped with fresh cilantro, if desired.
- This can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days but leftovers are best enjoyed within a day or two.
Coconut sugar can be substituted with maple syrup or any other granulated sugar, such as raw cane sugar. For a sugar-free option use Lakanto Golden Monk Fruit Sweetener.
Keywords: easy curry recipe, quick, healthy, vegetaria