This peanut butter coffee smoothie is high in protein and easy to whip up in minutes in a blender. Made with frozen banana, coffee, peanut butter and protein powder, you’ll love this delicious combo!
- dietary needs: vegan, gluten-free, no added sugar
- high in protein
- makes a great breakfast on-the-go or mid-morning snack
- amazing coffee flavour and thick, creamy texture
- easy to customize with extra add-ins and swaps
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Coffee – Use any brewed coffee you like.
- Peanut Butter – Use natural peanut butter. Swap for almond butter, cashew butter, tahini or any other nut or seed butter.
- Banana – Frozen banana is key, don’t skip it! You’ll need 1-2 frozen bananas depend on their size. It doesn’t have to be exact though, so feel free to add more for a thicker, sweeter, larger smoothie.
- Protein Powder – Any kind of vanilla or chocolate protein powder works.
Yes. You can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge in a sealed jar for 1-2 days. It won’t be quite as thick after storing but it will still taste amazing!
The protein powder sweetens and thickens the smoothie but if you’d like to leave it out, try replacing it with an extra frozen banana or a mix of frozen cauliflower and frozen banana. I would recommend using it though. You can use any kind you like and both chocolate and vanilla work well, or if you can find peanut butter protein…yum!!
Sure! Just swap the peanut butter for tahini, sunflower seed butter or Wowbutter.
Additions & Variations
There are many different ways you can switch this smoothie up and make it your own. Here are a few options:
- add a handful of greens such as spinach, kale or chard
- add 1-2 tbsp of chia seeds or ground flax for thickening and added healthy fats and other nutrients
- add up to 1 cup steamed and frozen chopped cauliflower or zucchini – this is a great way volume and fiber for a bigger smoothie without additional calories! Check out my post on adding veggies to smoothies for more details.
- mix in superfood powders like maca, lucuma, ashwaganda, a mushroom powder or any other adaptogen or superfood you like to use – for more ideas, read about the best superfoods for smoothies
- swap half of the coffee for light or full-fat coconut milk
- add up to 1/4 cup rolled oats for oat milk latte vibes
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- 1 cup coffee, cooled (250 mL)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (30 g)
- 1 1/2 medium frozen ripe bananas (180 g)
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder (30 g)
- plant-based milk, as needed to adjust consistency
- a few ice cubes (optional)
- Add the coffee to a high-speed blender, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Start blending on low then slowly increase speed and blend briefly until completely smooth and creamy.
- If needed, add a bit more coffee or plant-based milk of choice to adjust the consistency.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Peanut butter can be substituted with cashew butter, almond butter or for a nut-free smoothie, tahini or sunflower seed butter.
For extra volume and nutrition, try adding 1 cup steamed and frozen cauliflower or zucchini. You may need additional liquid to reach your desired consistency.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 452
- Fat: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 30 g
Keywords: banana coffee smoothie, protein coffee shake