This was my second try making these chocolate chip chia seed granola bars and I’m so glad I re-attempted because I love the addition of chia seeds in this version. They give a nice little crunch and add some extra nutrition. These bars taste amazing and are super easy to make with everyday, basic ingredients. They’re no bake and can be made in one bowl with no blending needed! You can enjoy these bars for breakfast, as a healthy snack or a sweet treat anytime you need one. They can also be crumbled over a smoothie bowl, dairy-free yogurt or banana ice cream for the ultimate topping!
Chia Seed Favourites
One of the first recipes I posted on Running on Real Food was my No-Bake Chocolate Chia Energy Bars which continue to be a reader favourite. Since then, there’s been Chia Seed Pancakes, Nut and Seed Nutrition Bars and now I get to add these Chocolate Chip Chia Seed Granola Bars to the growing list of chia seed recipes.
Chia seeds have a ton of great health benefits. They’re high in antioxidants, fibre, protein and omega-3 fatty acids as well as minerals such as calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Chia seeds are a particularly good addition to a plant-based diet for their high levels of calcium, omega-3 and protein.
And of course, we can’t forget chia seed pudding! Chia seed pudding is one of my favourite snacks, breakfasts and desserts. There are so many different ways you can make it and it’s so healthy, nourishing and delicious. I shared 15 awesome chia seed pudding recipes in this post, or you can check out my:
- Sweet and Salty Chia Seed Pudding
- Chocolate Chia Protein Pudding
- Sweet Potato Chia Seed Pudding
- Banana Split Chia Seed Pudding
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Chocolate Chip Chia Seed Granola Bars
In typical Running on Real Food fashion, these bars are no-bake and only require a few common ingredients to make. Simply mix them up in a bowl, no blending required, press into a baking pan and place in the freezer to set. They taste awesome, are chewy but have a nice crunch from the chia seeds and they make a great breakfast on-the-go or snack anytime of day.Print
These simple, homemade granola bars feature just a handful of healthy ingredients. No baking required, vegan and gluten-free.
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper or saran and firmly press the mixture into the pan.
- Spend a few minutes really pressing it in there, this will help them hold together properly once they’re done.
- Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into 8 bars or 16 squares and store in the fridge or freezer in a sealed container.
- Please note these need to be kept cold to hold together properly. They’re okay at room temperature for a while but as the coconut oil starts to melt they won’t hold together quite as well, it will stay in bar form but be a little crumbly as you eat it. They’re absolutely awesome straight from the fridge, so stick to that for best results!