No-Bake Salted Mocha Balls
These vegan no-bake salted mocha balls are easy to make in minutes with just 7 wholesome ingredients.
- dietary features – vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, no added sugar
- quick and easy – just 7 ingredients and a few minutes needed
- coffee lovers – love coffee? how about chocolate and coffee? If you answered yes, then these are for you!
What You’ll Need
- cashews – use plain, raw cashews with no added oil or salt
- dates – any variety works as long as they’re soft and moist, if not, see notes regarding soaking below
- sea salt – use a good quality sea salt for the best flavour
- vanilla – optional but nicely enhances the chocolate and coffee flavours!
- cocoa powder – regular cocoa powder works great or you can use raw cacao powder for extra nutrition-
- coffee – use any finely ground coffee, just make sure it’s decaf if you’re sensitive to caffeine or plan to enjoy these later in the day or evening
- chocolate – chopped dark chocolate or dairy-free chocolate chips work
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1. Add everything to a food processor and mix into a thick, sticky dough.
Step 2. Add the chocolate and pulse a few times to combine.
Finally, roll the dough into balls, coating in cocoa or coconut if desired, and enjoy!
Notes and Tips
- Cashews: Can be subbed with walnuts or almonds, or any combination of them.
- Dates: It’s important to use soft, moist dates. If your dates are overly dry, soak in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe.
How to Store
- Fridge: Up to 2 weeks in a sealed container.
- Freezer: Up to 3 months in a sealed container or freezer-safe bag. Won’t freeze solid but they do get quite hard so best to thaw for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
- Room Temperature: If taking to-go, they’re ok out of the fridge for up to a couple of days. Freeze first and keep in a cool place, if possible.
- Carrot Cake Energy Balls
- No-Bake Chocolate Coffee Energy Bites
- Vanilla Espresso Date Energy Bars
- No-Bake Cashew Coconut Balls
- Cacao Hazelnut Energy Balls
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
- 1 cup raw cashews (150 g)
- 1 cup packed, soft pitted dates (220 g)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder (15 g)
- 3 tbsp finely ground coffee (14 g)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dark chocolate or dairy-free chocolate chips (80 g)
- Add everything but the chocolate to a food processor and mix into a thick, sticky dough. You should easily be able to press it together between your fingers.
- Add the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips and pulse a few times to combine.
- Use your hands to roll the dough into 18 balls. It can help to use wet hands if the dough is sticky.
- If desired, roll each ball in shredded coconut or cocoa powder.
Caffeine: Be sure to use decaf if you’re sensitive to caffeine or plan to enjoy these later in the day.
Storage: Up to 2 weeks in a sealed container in the fridge, up to 3 months in a sealed container or freezer-safe bag in the freezer (allow to thaw for 10-15 minutes if enjoying straight from the freezer), up to 2 days at room temperature if taking to-go but freeze first and keep cool, if possible.
Cashews: Can be subbed with walnuts or almonds, or any combination of them.
Dates: It’s important to use soft, moist dates. If your dates are overly dry, soak in hot water for 15 minutes then drain well before using in the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 102
- Sugar: 11.1 g
- Sodium: 66 mg
- Fat: 4.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 1.9 g
Keywords: mocha bites, mocha balls, mocha energy balls
Update Note: Originally published on September 25, 2015. Updated with new photos and text on August 18, 2020.