I’ve made this creamy, slow cooker butternut squash soup 3 weeks in a row now! It’s ultra smooth, full of flavour and requires just 4 ingredients to make. I love how easy it is to chop a few ingredients, toss ’em in the slow cooker and forget it for a few hours. Once the butternut squash is soft and tender, use an immersion blender to blend it into the creamiest bowl of butternut squash soup ever!
About that Food Prep
I’ve been making this slow cooker butternut squash soup as part of my weekly food prep for a few weeks now. I like to put it on first so it can cook away in the food processor while I complete the rest of my prep. I’ve been repeating a number of dishes lately, especially balsamic roasted beets, steamed brussel sprouts, all varieties of squash and pumpkin oat cookies. It must be fall or something.
I’ve been 100% commited to my current nutrition goals for the past 5 weeks and there’s no way that would have happened without my weekly food prep. Since I’m eating so many veggies and high-volume foods, soup has been on rotation since the weather started to turn. I love coming home from work and having this ready to go, especially when I’m really hungry and more tempted to reach for something that doesn’t fit my goals.
Soup is so filling and satisfying but low in calories and also a great way to load up on nutrients. Plus there are just so many options! Here are a few past favourites from the blog:
- Creamy and Cheesy Vegan Broccoli Soup
- The Best Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Curried Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Soup
- Tomato Lentil Soup
Get Your Slow Cooker Out
Slow cookers are inexpensive making them a must-have kitchen appliance and one of my favourite items for fall and winter cooking. They’re also great year round for everything from apple sauce or butter, to oatmeal and all sorts of healthy desserts.
Here are a few options for slow cookers under $40 if you need one!
- Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker
- Crockpot Cook n’ Carry 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- Crockpot Programmable Slow Cooker with Digital Timer
I use an immersion blender placed right into the slow cooker to blend my soup but you can also add the soup to a blender or food processor. I love my immersion blender for soups, dressings, hummus and more and I use it often in my kitchen. Just like slow cookers, they’re inexpensive and a super handy kitchen tool to have on hand. You don’t need anything fancy and can find one for around $20-30. Buy one on Amazon here.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
This soup is low-calorie, virtually fat free, super healthy and best of all, so easy to make. Set it and forget it, my favourite kind of cooking! If you don’t have a slow cooker, no worries, this soup is easily made stove-top too. Just simmer until the squash is tender, then blend and serve.Print
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Soup, Entree, Side
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks, approx. 8 cups once cubed (if it’s more or less than that no problem, adjust amoutn of liquid so squash is just covered)
- 1/2 white onion, roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock (or just enough to cover the squash)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the squash, onion, garlic and vegetable stock to a slow cooked and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours until the squash is soft and tender.
- Once it’s cooked, either blend directly in the slow cooked using an immersion blender or carefully pour into a blender or food processor and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Season with salt and pepper.