- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes (approx. 7–8 cups or 1200 g once cubed)
- 1 white onion, diced (approx. 2 cups, 300 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrot (approx. 150 g)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes, optional
- 4–5 cups vegetable stock (or just enough to barely cover the squash)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or cashew cream, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all the ingredients (except for the coconut milk, if using) to a slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 4-5 hours until the squash is soft and tender.
- Once it’s cooked, either blend directly in the slow cooker using an immersion blender or carefully transfer to a blender and mix until smooth and creamy. Blend in the coconut milk now, if using.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed and serve.
Storing: Let cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1/6th of recipe
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 500 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: slow cooker butternut squash soup, crockpot butternut squash soup