Lentil Sweet Potato Stew
This healthy lentil sweet potato stew with kale is easy to make in 1-pot with simple ingredients in about 45 minutes. The recipe is vegan, high in protein, and naturally gluten-free.
- quick and easy – with minimal prep and mostly hands-off time, this recipe is easy to whip up any night of the week
- make in advance – the flavors only improve the next day making this stew great for meal prep
- dietary-restrictions – this recipe is oil-free, nut-free, gluten-free and vegan
The ingredients for this stew are very simple but here are a few things to consider:
- broth – any vegetable broth or stock works, either liquid, cubes or bouillon powder
- tomato paste – have extra? freeze it in an ice cube tray for later!
- kale – any kind of kale works, can be subbed with spinach
- lentils – I would recommend sticking to green or brown lentils for this recipe, you could use red but it will be more of a mushy dahl-type consistency and the cooking time will be less
How to Make this Recipe
Cook the onion, garlic and ginger in a couple tablespoons of water, broth or oil for about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, salt, ginger and tomato paste and cook for a few more minutes.
Add the lentils and broth and simmer covered for 15 minutes, then add the carrot and sweet potato and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes until everything is tender and cooked through.
Finally, stir in the kale and let it sit for a few minutes to heat through. Then serve and enjoy!
How should I store this?
The stew will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 5 days or can be frozen for up to 2 months. If freezing or storing for later, let it cool before sealing and storing.
If you’re enjoying this delicious stew, you might want to try these too:
- Curried Butternut Squash Lentil Stew
- Vegan Chickpea Quinoa Stew
- Vegan Sweet Potato Peanut Stew
- Spicy Peanut Stew with Rice and Chickpeas
- Curried Chickpea Potato Stew
Did you make this recipe? Click here to leave a review!Print
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (approx. 3–4 cups chopped)
- 6 cups lightly packed kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- Cook the onion and garlic in a 2 tablespoons of water or broth 5 minutes in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the curry powder, salt, ginger, tomato paste and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the lentils and broth, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sweet potato and simmer uncovered for another 15-20 minutes or until the carrots and sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Stir in the kale, turn off the heat and let sit for a few minutes. If the lentils are soft and most of the liquid is absorbed, it’s ready!
- Serve immediately.
Let leftovers cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 5 months.
Kale may be omitted or substituted with spinach if you don’t have any on hand.
- Serving Size: 1/5th of recipe
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 15 g
- Protein: 12 g
Keywords: vegan lentil stew, sweet potato lentil stew
UPDATE NOTE: This recipe was originally published on March 20, 2014. It was updated with new photos and text on June 5, 2020.