Healthy Vegan Banana Split
A healthy vegan banana split that’s easy to whip up in minutes and loved by kids and adults alike.
Banana Split Ingredients
Here’s what I used to make this decadent but healthy banana split:
- Banana. Of course you’ll need banana for healthy banana split. Use one medium-sized banana, sliced lengthwise per serving.
- Strawberries. Fresh strawberries are perfect for these but if you only have frozen that’s totally fine. Thaw them in the fridge, microwave or stovetop until they turn into a delicious strawberry sauce, much like a classic banana split would be served with. You can mix thawed frozen strawberries with a bit of maple syrup for a sweet treat.
- Pineapple. Classic banana splits call for pineapple sauce but we’ll keep these on the healthier side and use real pineapple. It’s optional and can be substituted with any other fresh fruit.
- Dairy-free yogurt. Instead of ice cream and whipped cream, we’re going with dairy-free yogurt for the filling I like Yosu Coconut Yogurt but you can use any brand you enjoy.
- Melted chocolate. The chocolate is optional but I mean, what’s a banana split without chocolate? You can either use chocolate chips, chopped dark chocolate, melted chocolate chips or dark chocolate or make your own chocolate sauce. I would definitely recommend melting the chocolate, YUM.
- Chopped Nuts. I used pecans but walnuts, peanuts and almonds all work well.
That’s not all you can play with. How about adding:
- Granola. Granola adds some yummy crunch!
- Vegan ice cream. Classic banana splits have 3 scoops of ice cream: chocolate, strawberry and banana. Try adding a scoop of your favourite store-bought or homemade ice cream for a real treat.
- Crumbled raw brownies. Crumbled raw vegan brownies? Why not.
- Crumbled cookie dough balls. Just as delicious as a raw vegan brownie, if you have some cookie dough energy balls on hand, try crumbling one over your banana split.
- Date caramel sauce. Date caramel sauce is easy to make by soaking dates in hot water then blending with a pinch of sea salt until smooth and creamy. It’s amazing drizzled over a banana split!
- Nut butter. You can’t go wrong with a drizzle of almond butter or peanut butter!
- Cherries. A classic Sunday is served with a cherry on top. If cherries are in season and you have fresh cherries on hand, why not add a couple to your banana split.
- Coconut. Try a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes!
Banana Split Bar
For a party dessert table or for a fun weekend dessert idea, how about a healthy banana split bar? Create a bar with all the topping ideas listed above and let everyone build their own banana split. They can be as healthy or as decadent as you want!
Healthy Banana Split Recipe
To make these banana splits, I sliced a banana in half and topped with coconut yogurt, pineapple, strawberries, pecans, granola and melted chocolate chips.
Everything is optional and customizable so feel free to have some fun experimenting to create your perfect banana split dessert.
Some of my favourite extras are granola, blueberries, almond butter and date caramel sauce.
More Vegan Dessert Ideas
Need more banana split goodness in your life? Try my banana split chia seed pudding!Print
- Slice the bananas lengthwise and place on a plate or in a shallow dish.
- Fill the middle with yogurt then top with pineapple tidbits, sliced strawberries and pecans.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or stovetop using a double-boiler. Drizzle the melted chocolate over each banana split and enjoy!
For each banana split, I used approximately 1/3 cup pineapple tidbits, 3 strawberries, 2 tbsp chocolate chips, 2 tbsp chopped pecans and 1/2 cup of yogurt. Adjust to your preference, there is no right or wrong way to make these!
To melt the chocolate in the microwave, add to a glass dish and start with 30 seconds then check and stir every 15 seconds until melted. To melt the chocolate stovetop (if you don’t have a double boiler), add an inch of water to a small pot then place a bowl over the pot so it sits on top. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir until melted.
Keywords: healthy banana split, easy, fun, quick, kid-friendly