Cream of broccoli soup is the ultimate comfort food, don’t you think? I sure think so, especially with a nice piece of fresh bread to dunk in it. And you can go right ahead with a big slab of bread because this vegan cream of broccoli soup is low in calories with little to no fat!
A bit of a change from traditional cream of broccoli soup, which is made with, you guessed it, cream. No cream here, just vegetable stock, veggies and plant-based milk. Easy, healthy, nourishing and oh so, comforting.
What kind of stock to use?
I should really make my own vegetable stock at home but I always forget to save my veggie bits and pieces. If you make your own vegetable broth, amazing. Keep it up!
I usually buy organic bouillon cubes to make soups that way I always have broth on hand ready to go whenever I need it. You can also buy carton vegetable stock to use in homemade soups however I recommend purchasing a good quality, organic one.
The ingredients in Pacific Organic Vegetable Broth, for example, are: water, carrots, onion, celery, tomatoes, leeks, sea salt, mushrooms, garlic, savory leaf and ground bay leaf. Perfect, no added salt or sugar or other ingredients I don’t need. Imagine brand has a similar ingredient list.
On the other hand, the ingredients Campbell’s Vegetable Broth are: water, vegetable juice concentrate, salt, glucose-fructose, sugar, dextrose, natural flavour (soy lecithin), potassium chloride (salt substitute), vegetables, disodium guanylate, disodium inosinate (natural flavour enhancer), citric acid. . I used to use Cambell’s Broth years ago then I was cooking with it once, and a big, disgusting, slimy blob protruded half-way from the spout before being suck backed into the container. I’ve haven’t used it since, that freaked me out.
Whether you use bouillon cubes or carton vegetable broth, I’d recommend springing for the good stuff. The taste and nutrition is worth it. If you make your own vegetable stock, even better.
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
I used to love a can of Campbell’s Cream of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup when I was a kid. That and a grilled cheese sandwich, oh man, that was my fave. Now, I’d rather skip those for something a little healthier with ingredients I feel good about. That’s why I love making soups at home!
This vegan cream of broccoli soup is creamy and flavourful and I love that I can enjoy a satisfying serving without it being too calorie-laden.
You can use homemade nut milk to make this or store-bought, whatever you prefer or have on hand. I used Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk and GoBio Organic Vegetable Bouillon Cubes.
Aside from the vegetable stock and almond milk, all that’s in this vegan cream of broccoli soup is veggies!
- low in calories
- low fat
- ready in less than 30 minutes
- low carb
- high in nutrients
- packed with flavour
- easy to make with simple ingredients
- keeps well in fridge or can be frozen
- amazing with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top
Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
This healthy, vegan cream of broccoli soup is the perfect answer to cold fall days. All the flavour and nutrition with none of the fat and calories. It’s delicious, nourishing and comfort food all the way.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Category: Soup, Entree, Side
- 2 small or 1 large white onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 6-7 cups chopped broccoli
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery to a pot with a splash of the vegetable stock and cook until they start to soften a bit, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, stock and non-dairy milk and simmer over medium heat until all the veggies are soft and tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully pour the soup into a blender and process until smooth, or use an immersion blender in the pot. If you prefer it a little chunky, leave a few scoops of the broccoli in the pot then stir back into the soup after it’s blended.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed, serve with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top and a slice of fresh bread on the side!