This healthy, vegan cream of broccoli soup is the perfect answer to cold fall days. All the flavour and nutrition with none of the fat and calories. It’s delicious, nourishing and comfort food all the way.
- 2 small or 1 large white onion, diced (300 g, approx. 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (20 g)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped (175 g, approx. 1 cup)
- 2 ribs celery, chopped (75 g, approx. 1 cup)
- 6 cups chopped broccoli (450 g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (750 mL)
- 1 cup dairy-free milk (250 mL)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute the veggies. Add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery to a pot with a few tablespoons of the vegetable stock and cook until they start to soften and become fragrant, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add ingredients and simmer. Add the broccoli, stock and non-dairy milk and simmer over medium heat until all the veggies are soft and tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Blend soup. Carefully pour the soup into a blender and process until smooth, or use an immersion blender in the pot. If you prefer a chunky soup, leave a few scoops of veggies behind in the pot then pour the blended soup back in to the pot and mix together.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve right away.
Soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat as needed on the stovetop or in the microwave.
For a creamier soup, add 1/2 cup raw cashews when you add the broccoli. Just make sure you have a good blender that can get it nice and smooth. If not, you can soak the cashews overnight then blend with 3/4 cup water to create a cashew cream, then use that instead of the dairy-free milk.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 56
- Sugar: 5.6 g
- Fat: 0.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
Keywords: easy broccoli soup, healthy broccoli soup, quick broccoli soup