Well, the slow cooker has made it’s way out for fall and winter recipes! I love the slow cooker for weekly food prep. I can throw one meal in on Saturdays and one on Sundays and that’s two nights I don’t have to cook during the week. It also frees up room in the kitchen to prep a few other meals. The crockpot came out this weekend to make this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Corn Chowder however this delicious, healthy soup can also be made stove top. It’s super easy either way! You only need a few simple ingredients and the end result is flavourful, hearty and nutritious.
Winter Food Prep
For my weekly food prep during the colder months, I usually stick to a lot of soups, stews and chili just because they’re so easy and they keep well. I’ll add fresh salads and veggies in during the week as they only take a few minutes to prepare. I wash and chop a ton of fresh veggies on the weekend so they’re ready for quick salads and healthy snacking.
I also like to prep a batch of edamame, hummus and a grain like brown rice, quinoa or even cauliflower rice. This slow cooker sweet potato corn chowder is perfect for food prep because the flavours only improve next day so you won’t mind eating it during the week!
What Kind of Vegetable Stock To Use?
I’d love to say I make my own vegetable stock but I always forget to save veggie scraps to make it. If you make your own, fantastic!
I usually just buy organic vegetable bouillon cubes from my local grocery store. I really recommend going with a good quality, organic stock as some of the other store-bought carton stocks or bouillon cubes have some really weird ingredients in them. I notice a big difference between the two and it’s one grocery item I always spend a bit more on for the organic option. I like using vegetable stock cubes because they last forever so I always keep some on hand in my pantry.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Corn Chowder
For my first slow cooker meal of the season, I decided to go for a take on corn chowder, swapping out typical potato for sweet potato! Yum! This literally takes minutes to prepare. Just cut up the veggies, add everything to your slow cooker and you’re done!
This recipe is so simple – just sweet potato, frozen corn, celery, onion, garlic and a few other everyday ingredients and you’re good to go! You might just have all the ingredients on hand already. You will love how easy this is. You can make it on the stove top or the slow cooker, there’s really not much difference either way.
- 1 white onion, diced (3 cups, 350 g)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped (1.5 cups, 150 g)
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (2 heaping cups, 250 g)
- 4 cups frozen corn (500 g)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on LOW or approximately 2 hours on HIGH. If you're making this stovetop, simply add the ingredients and cook until the sweet potato is fork tender.
- Once it's cooked, removed about ¾ of the soup and puree until smooth and then mix it back in. Alternatively, you can place an immersion blender right in the slow cooker and puree it that way!
- Add any additional salt and pepper to taste and serve!