Did you know you make amazing all-natural, vegan ice cream with only frozen bananas! Well you can, and it is one of the greatest things ever. Once you have your banana soft serve ice cream base you can flavour it with just about anything you can think of. Think peanut butter and chocolate, strawberries or matcha and cacao nibs for a take mint chocolate chip.
How to Make Banana Soft Serve Ice Cream
Okay, here’s how to make banana soft serve ice cream. It’s super tricky and technical:
- Freeze bananas.
- Blend bananas.
Haha. That’s it!
You can make leave it that simple and it’s amazing just like that, but you can also add in all sorts of treats to really spice things up! I’ve added peanut butter, almond butter, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, maple syrup and other frozen fruits. It all works, you really can’t go wrong.
Banana Soft Serve Tips
- Peel bananas and break into chunks or slice before freezing.
- Make sure the banana is frozen solid before using.
- You may need to add a little liquid to blend. Start with just a few teaspoons of almond milk or another plant-based milk and slowly add more if needed. The goal is to add as little extra liquid as possible so the ice cream stays nice and thick. I actually like to leave it a little chunky.
- Try not to over blend it will start to melt. Minimal blending is key.
- If it becomes to soft and melted, spread it in a glass container or parchment paper lined loaf pan and place in the freezer until firm.
Banana Soft Serve Ice Cream Flavours
- Chocolate Ice Cream. Blend in 1-2 tbsp of raw cacao powder.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream. Blend in 1-2 tbsp of raw cacao powder then swirl in peanut butter before eating.
- Strawberry Ice Cream. Blend in a handful of frozen strawberries.
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream. Make some of my chocolate chip cookie dough bites or gingerbread cookie dough bites and either pulse them in or chop them up and use them as topping.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Add 1 tsp of matcha or spinach for colour, add a few drops of peppermint extract or a handful of fresh mint and pulse in dairy-free chocolate chips or cacao nibs.
- Caramel Ice Cream. Blend in 4-5 pitted medjool dates. Try a pinch of sea salt for salted caramel.
- Cinnamon Swirl Ice Cream. Blend in 1-3 tsp of cinnamon.
- Protein Ice Cream. Blend in 1/2 a scoop of chocolate or vanilla plant-based protein powder.
- Low-Fat Peanut Butter Ice Cream. Blend in powdered peanut butter.
- Tropical Ice Cream. Blend in a few chunks of frozen mango and pineapple. Top with shredded coconut.
Ice Cream Chocolate Sauce Topping
If you want a quick and easy, vegan chocolate sauce topping, mix together the following and drizzle it over your banana soft serve.
Quick Chocolate Sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa
For caramel sauce toppings, check out my easy ways to make quick caramel sauce here.
I actually really like this with nothing but the bananas, or a little bit of peanut butter. I found it’s too rich with the chocolate sauce added, this was the first time I added sauce to it. I prefer a simpler version of it, plus all you need is bananas and nothing else! That way it’s inexpensive and super easy to make with no added sugar. If the bananas are really well frozen, the texture is amazing – just like soft serve ice cream. You’ll have to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender a few times but it doesn’t take long to get the right consistency. At first it will appear flaky and dry, but keep blending with a touch of non-dairy milk and it will come out perfectly. Enjoy!