Vegan Pumpkin Date Bread
This vegan pumpkin date bread is made with wholesome ingredients for a delicious, nourishing loaf that’s perfect for Fall and Winter.
- dietary features: vegan, refined sugar-free
- Fall baking perfection: enjoy warm from the oven, slathered with vegan or coconut butter for the most perfect Fall treat
- caramel pumpkin pie: with the sweet dates studded throughout the pumpkin batter, this loaf tastes like caramel and pumpkin all rolled into one!
- dates – any variety works since we’ll be soaking them
- spelt flour – this recipe has not been tested with any other flours
- coconut sugar – can be subbed with white sugar, cane sugar, demerara, sucanut and other unrefined granulated sugars, use monk fruit for a sugar-free loaf
- psyllium powder – sub with 1 tbsp ground flax if you can’t find psyllium powder
- milk – any plant-based milk works here, I recommend unsweetened almond or cashew
- pumpkin – use unsweetened canned or homemade pumpkin puree
- coconut oil – can be substituted with olive oil
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located in the recipe card below.
Step by Step Instructions
Before you Start: Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Step 1. Place the pitted, chopped dates in a bowl and pour boiling water oven them. Let them sit for 10 minutes then drain well.
Step 2. Mix the psyllium powder and water in a small dish and set side for at least 3 minutes.
Step 3. Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda and sea salt together in a large mixing bowl.
Quick Tip: I love psyllium husk powder for replacing eggs but if you can’t find any, replace it with 1 tbsp of ground flax.
Step 4. Mix the milk and apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl.
Step 5. Add the milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, psyllium egg, melted coconut oil, pumpkin and drained dates to the dry ingredients.
Step 6. Gently fold the batter together until all the dry ingredients have been wetted. Do not over mix. It should take roughly 20 folds to fully mix the batter.
Step 7. Spoon the mixture into a loaf pan, bake for 50 minutes then let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before carefully removing.
Quick Tip: Be sure to line the pan with parchment paper or give it a light coating of non-stick cooking spray for easy removal.
Let cool for at least 30 minutes before carefully slicing. Enjoy a slice warm topped with vegan butter or spread of choice!
- Room Temperature: Store at room temperature wrapped in in tinfoil or an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Fridge: Let cool completely then store wrapped in foil or in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Can be refrigerated whole or in slices
- Freezer: Let cool completely then store wrapped in foil or in an airtight container or freezer safe bag for up to 3 months. Can be frozen whole or in slices. I like freezing in slices so I can grab one as needed. Thaw at room temp or in the fridge or microwave.
- Easy Vegan Banana Bread
- Healthy Pumpkin Oat Cookies
- Vegan Zucchini Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Mug Cake
- Vegan Lemon Loaf
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- boiling water, enough to cover dates
- 1 1/4 cup packed (290 g), finely chopped pitted dates
- 2 cups (250 g) spelt flour
- 2/3 cup (135 g) coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp psyllium husk powder + 3 tbsp hot water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) non-dairy milk + 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted (45 g) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (125 g) plain canned pumpkin puree
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the chopped dates in a bowl, pour boiling water over them and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Mix the psyllium and water in a small dish and set aside for at least 3 minutes.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking soda and sea salt together in a bowl.
- Mix the milk and apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl.
- Add the milk and apple cider vinegar mixture, psyllium egg, melted coconut oil and pumpkin to the dry ingredients. Drain the dates and add those too.
- Fold together gently until all the dry ingredients are wetted. Do not over mix.
- Line a standard-sized loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly spread the batter into the pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- Let sit in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully lift or lift out of the pan and let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Psyllium powder can be substituted with 1 tbsp ground flax. Coconut sugar can be subbed with white sugar, cane sugar or for sugar-free loaf, granulated monk fruit sweetener.
For best results, use a kitchen scale to weigh ingredients according to recipe.
Storage: Let cool completely before storing. Store whole or in slices wrapped in foil or in a sealable container or bag. Will keep at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the fridge for up to 1 week or can be frozen up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw in the fridge, at room temperature or in the microwave.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 210
- Sugar: 22.1 g
- Sodium: 428 mg
- Fat: 5.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 4.2 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin bread, vegan pumpkin loaf
Originally published October 16, 2017. Updated with new photos and text on September 22, 2020.