Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Rich, moist and decadent vegan chocolate zucchini bread that’s made with healthy ingredients and completely dairy-free!
- Dietary Features: Vegan (egg-free and dairy-free).
- Amazing rich, fudge-like texture and double chocolate zucchini goodness!
- Perfect addition to brunch or a holiday breakfast.
- Bake up a batch to share with friends and family.
- Amazing spread with vegan butter, almond butter or coconut butter for a special treat.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Complete list of ingredients with amounts and instructions is located in the recipe card below.
- Flour: This recipe is made with whole wheat flour but you should be able to substitute all-purpose flour or spelt flour.
- Cocoa Powder: Any kind works but if you can find dark cocoa powder it’s best for the deepest chocolate flavour.
- Coconut Oil: Can be substituted with olive oil, canola oil or avocado oil. This recipe has not been tested oil-free.
- Maple Syrup: Substituted with agave syrup if needed.
- Applesauce: Adds moisture and helps cut down the oil. The recipe calls for unsweetened applesauce but you can use sweetened if you like, just note that it adds sugar, of course.
- Vegan Yogurt: Plain or vanilla unsweetened coconut yogurt works best here.
- Chocolate: You can use dairy-free chocolate chips, chocolate chunks or chopped dark chocolate. Sprinkle more on top for an extra treat and to make the loaf look pretty!
Step 1: First, we’ll need to remove the excess liquid from the zucchini. There are a couple ways you can do this.
You can place the grated zucchini in a strainer and use your hands to squeeze the liquid out or you can wrap the grated zucchini up in a dish towel and squeeze.
Step 2: Next, prep the dry ingredients by adding them to a bowl and making sure any clumps are broken up. You can use a sifter or fine mesh sieve to do this or a fork will do the trick.
Step 2. Mix the strained grated zucchini into the dry ingredients until it’s all coated.
Step 4: Prepare the wet ingredients. This includes the vanilla, applesauce, yogurt, maple syrup and coconut oil. Mix the ingredients together well until completely smooth and combined.
Quick Note: It is important all ingredients are room temperature to ensure coconut oil doesn’t solidify. If the ingredients are cold, warm them briefly in the microwave to bring to room temperature. This is not a concern if you use a different of oil though.
Step 5: Mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Make a “well” in the centre of your dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients then fold them together.
Quick Tip: Take care not to over work the batter. Gently fold together until all of the dry mixture has been wetted, then stop mixing.
Step 6: Add the chocolate chips and gently fold a few times to combine.
Step 7: Time to bake! Prepare a 8×4 inch loaf pan with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper then scoop the batter into the pan, evenly spreading with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top, if desired.
Quick Tip: I recommend lining the pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the edges. This makes for easy removal once the loaf is done, you can simply lift it straight out of the pan!
Bake the loaf for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Let the loaf cool completely or for at least 2 hours before carefully flipping out of the pan. Slice and enjoy!
Notes & Tips
- For best results, don’t skip cooling in the pan. The loaf needs this time to firm up. If you take it out right away it will be crumbly.
- Sifting the dry ingredients really helps. If you don’t have a sifter, you can use a fork or regular fine mesh sieve over the mixing bowl. After sifting, make sure the dry ingredients are well mixing to fully incorporate the salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Be careful not to over mix. Over mixing will make the bread dense. Gently fold until just combined for the best fluffy, moist loaf.
- You can try additional add-ins like chopped walnuts, pecans or dried cranberries.
- Let cool completely before storing.
- Freezing: Wrap well in foil or plastic wrap then place in a freezer-safe bag to prevent freezer burn. Thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature before serving.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 6 days. Enjoy cold or warm lightly in the microwave.
- Vegan Zucchini Bread
- Applesauce Muffins
- Vegan Carrot Muffins
- Easy Vegan Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake Banana Bread
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded and excess liquid squeeze out (150 g, about 1 packed cup before draining)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (175 g)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (50 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (80 ml)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (120 ml)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce, unsweetened, room temperature (60 ml)
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt, room temperature (115 g)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate (85 g)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the zucchini. Grate the zucchini and place in a strainer in the sink or over a bowl. Use your hands to squeeze out the excess liquid. You can do this by pressing the zucchini against the side of the strainer or squeezing it in your fist. Alternatively, place the grated zucchini on a dishcloth, wrap it up and squeeze to remove the liquid. Set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients. With a sifter or fine mesh strainer, sift all of your dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt) together, with the exception of the zucchini and chocolate chunks. If you don’t have a sifter or fine sieve, use a fork to break up any clumps. mix well to ensure the baking powder, baking soda and salt and well distributed.
- Add zucchini to dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula mix in the drained zucchini until evenly mixed in with the flour.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a medium bowl mix together vanilla, apple sauce, yogurt, maple syrup and coconut oil. It is important all ingredients are room temperature to ensure coconut oil doesn’t solidify (not a concern if you’re using a different variety of oil). If the ingredients are cold, warm them briefly in the microwave to bring to room temperature. Mix the ingredients together well until completely smooth and combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients and gently fold together until just combined, taking care not to over work the batter.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold a few times to mix throughout.
- Add batter to pan. Prepare an 8×4 inch loaf pan with a light coating of non-stick cooking spray or line with parchment paper then pour in the batter, evenly spreading with a spoon or spatula. I like to line the pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the edges for easy removal after baking. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top, if desired.
- Bake the loaf. Place in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool then slice. Let cool in the pan completely or for at least 2 hours before carefully flipping or lifting out. Slice and enjoy.
Storing: Let cool completely before storing. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or in the fridge for up to 6 days. Enjoy cold or warm lightly in the microwave. If freezing, wrap well in foil or plastic wrap then place in a freezer-safe bag to prevent freezer burn. Thaw overnight in the fridge or at room temperature before serving.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 248
- Sodium: 282 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 42 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan chocolate zucchini bread, healthy chocolate zucchini bread