Carrot Cake Banana Bread
Can’t decide between carrot cake and banana bread? Enjoy them both with this delicious, soft, sweet and moist vegan carrot cake banana bread recipe.
- Dietary Features: Vegan, oil-free, can be nut-free.
- Soft, tender texture and lightly sweetened and spiced flavour.
- Easy to make in one bowl with just 10 everyday ingredients.
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
- Flour: All-purpose flour and spelt flour both work well here. I like spelt best for baking but if you don’t have it, regular white flour works too.
- Sugar: Use cane sugar, coconut sugar or brown sugar.
- Banana: Overripe banana works well for sweet, moist bread. If you don’t have brown spotty banana, just ripe banana is ok too, just make sure it’s mashed up really well.
- Milk: I like almond or cashew as they have a neutral flavour but you can also use oat or soy milk.
- Vinegar: Helps with rise and fluffiness. Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar works.
- Nuts: Chopped walnuts or pecans are a nice addition but they can be omitted for a nut-free recipe.
- Carrot: Use fresh carrot. I prefer it finely grated but any thickness works.
Step-by-Step with Photos
Before You Start: Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper so it sticks out over the sides. Prepare the banana puree by thoroughly mashing banana until smooth and paste-like.
Step 1: Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well to combine and distribute the baking soda and powder.
Step 2: Add the banana, milk, vinegar and vanilla and fold together until all of the flour is wetted.
Step 3: Add the carrot and walnuts and fold until evenly distributed.
Step 4: Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf ban and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Slice and serve with coconut butter, vegan butter or peanut butter.
- Top the loaf with icing or frosting. You can use the cashew frosting from my vegan cinnamon rolls or from this raw vegan carrot cake. You could also use the glaze from this monkey bread recipe.
- For another frosting option, you can use this vegan cream cheese frosting.
- Let cool completely before storing.
- Room Temperature: Up to 3 days in a sealed container or wrapped in foil.
- Fridge: Up to 1 weeks in a sealed container or wrapped in foil.
- Freezer: Freeze sliced in individual portions wrapped in foil or saran and placed in a freezer-safe bag or container or freeze whole wrapped in foil in a freezer-safe bag or container. Thaw at room temperature or in the fridge and enjoy.
- Bread can be enjoyed warm or lightly heated in the oven or microwave.
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Soft, moist and perfectly sweet and spiced, this beautiful carrot cake banana bread combines two classic desserts: carrot cake and banana bread! Enjoy as is or with cream cheese frosting for a delicious treat.
- 1 1/3 cup spelt flour or all purpose flour (180 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (75 g)
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (105 g)
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk (177 mL, such as almond or cashew)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (25 g)
- 1 cup grated carrot (90 g)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line a standard-sized loaf pan (approx. 8.5 x 4 inches) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt.
- Now add all the wet ingredients, banana puree, milk, vanilla and the apple cider vinegar and mix well until all the flour is wetted.
- Fold in the grated carrots and the chopped walnuts and mix until combined.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving.
For frosting or icing, try the cashew frosting from my raw vegan carrot cake or vegan cinnamon rolls. For a glaze, use the powdered sugar glaze from my vegan monkey bread. Another frosting option is to use vegan store-bought cream cream sweetened to taste with a bit of maple syrup, stevia or powdered sugar.
Storing: Let cool completely before storing. Store wrapped in foil or saran or in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week. If freezing, either wrap whole in saran or foil and store in a freezer-safe bag or container or slice and wrap individual pieces. Freeze up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 230 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: carrot cake banana bread, carrot banana bread
I made it using half the sugar using vanilla coconut sugar since I don’t have a major sweet tooth. I baked it in a muffin pan and got 9 muffins out of the recipe. So moist and delicious
That’s great! Glad it worked out with those adjustments. Thanks!
This bread turned out so moist and delicious! I had to cook it for much longer, more like 45 minutes, but it came out really good. Will definitely make this again.
Thanks, Jen! Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the feedback on the cooking time.
Where is the recipe for the icing?
The icing is optional so if you scroll to the Serving section in the post above you’ll find some linked options for icing recipes either made with cream cheese or cashews.
Smells like fall 🍁🍁
I topped with pumpkin seeds
Better than Starbucks
I made them into muffins easier for me to control my portions
Thanks, Joyce! So happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe.
Another great recipe! I used a 9×9 and dropped the time down. Also added 1/3 cup of raisins in addition to the walnuts because carrot cake :). Turned out so good. I’ll definitely add this into the rotation. Thank you Deryn!
Thanks, Angi! So glad you liked it 🙂
My mom makes banana bread variations to have with her coffee every morning. I sent her this recipe the morning you posted it and she made it that afternoon. She just added less sugar because our family lacks a sweet tooth hehe. We both loved it.
I wish I lacked a sweet tooth, haha! So glad you loved it. Thanks for the review!
This cake was amazing, we used a gluten free plain flour. Easy to bake although mine took quite a bit longer. We used a vegan vanilla frosting with fresh lemon juice and topped it with walnuts, cranberries and pepitas. The non vegans lived it! None left over to freeze 😀
So glad to hear it, Anna!
Love this recipe! I used spelt flour and coconut blossom sugar. I packed in the grated carrot. But mine didn’t set – was still raw inside. So I have sliced it and put in oven on low heat to make rusks.
Could it be too much grated carrots – I don’t think so – any suggestions?
Hmm, I definitely haven’t had that issue before! Did you follow the recipe exactly? If you added more carrots, they may add too much moisture for it to bake properly. Sorry it didn’t work out for you!
Love it, my non vegan friends didn’t even realize it was vegan – they loved it too! I make quite a few of your recipes and purchased your ebook a few years ago. Thank you for all you do!
Forgot to add – 5 stars from me !
Thank you so much, Eli!
This came out so good. I prefer my cakes and bread without egg and this is just perfect.
Thank you, Shaz! So glad you enjoyed it.