Vegan Chocolate Pie
This no-bake vegan chocolate pie with tofu is light but decadent with a silky smooth texture and is easy to make with 6 ingredients.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
This decadent chocolate cream pie is made with just 6 simple ingredients and has the most delicious silky smooth texture. It’s the perfect low-effort dessert for holidays and special occasions but it’s easy enough to whip up any day of the week too!
The mousse-like chocolate filling is so easy to make and can be paired with a chocolate graham cracker crust, Oreo cookie crust, almond flour crust or any pre-baked pie crust you enjoy.
This recipe is no-bake, with minimal effort required, made with healthier ingredients and is fun to customize with different toppings like whipped cream, berries or caramel.
- So easy to make!
- No baking is required.
- Just 6 simple ingredients are needed!
- Vegan (eggless, dairy-free), nut-free and can be gluten-free.
- Perfect for holidays and other special occasions.
- Creamy, mousse-like, velvety texture.
- Decadent but made with healthier ingredients.
Ingredients & Substitutions
A complete list of ingredients with amounts and full instructions is located in the printable recipe card below. This section covers ingredient and substitution considerations.
For the Chocolate Pie
- Chocolate Chips: Use dairy-free semisweet or dark chocolate chips like Enjoy Life or Camino to keep the recipe vegan. Dark chocolate would also work. If you’re not vegan/plant-based, you can use any chocolate chips.
- Soft Tofu: Look for soft tofu. This is typically located alongside other tofu varieties and simply labelled “soft tofu” (not silken tofu).
- Plant-Based Milk: You can use oat milk, soy milk, almond milk or cashew milk.
- Maple Syrup: Sweetens the pie. You could substitute agave nectar.
For the Chocolate Crust
- Chocolate Graham Crackers: The recipe was made with Chocolate Teddy Grahams, which happen to be vegan. If you can’t find them, you can use regular graham crackers or vegan graham crackers with a scoop of cocoa powder, or see the list of alternative pie crusts. You could also use Oreo crumbs for a chocolate cookie crust!
- Plant-Based Butter: This can be substituted with coconut oil.
For Serving: Consider topping or serving your pie with dairy-free whipped cream and shaved chocolate, or see the list of other topping ideas.
Step 1: Prepare the Pie Crust
Mix the crushed graham crackers and melted butter together until all of the graham crackers are wetted.
Press the mixture firmly into a 9-inch pie dish. Transfer the pie crust to the freezer while you prepare the filling.
Quick Tip: Use the bottom of a measuring cup and press firmly over the surface to get a solid crust.
Step 2: Prepare the Filling
To make the filling, melt the chocolate chips using a double boiler or in the microwave in 15-second intervals, stirring between each until they’re fully melted and smooth.
Add the melted chocolate to a food processor.
Add the tofu, almond milk and maple syrup and blend until very smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Step 3: Add Filling to Crust
Transfer the pie filling to the crust and use a spatula to spread until you have a smooth, even surface. Place the pie in the fridge for 2 hours or until firm.
Step 4: Garnish and Serve
Once your pie is firm, add your choice of garnish, slice and serve!
- Whipped cream. Try homemade coconut whipped cream or aquafaba whipped cream or purchase your favourite dairy-free whipped topped like canned Coconut Whipped Topping or the So Delicious Coconut Whip that comes in a container (find in the freezer aisle).
- Whipped cream can be spread over the whole pie or as a scoop on individual slices upon serving.
- Chocolate shavings. Any dark chocolate works.
- Chocolate chips. Sprinkle a layer of mini chocolate chips over your pie.
- Fresh berries. Try raspberries or sliced strawberries.
- Nuts. Pecans would be pretty arranged over the top! Toast first for the best flavour.
- Vegan caramel sauce. You can spread this over the whole pie or drizzle over individual servings.
- Banana slices. Try thinly sliced banana layered over top for a banana pudding pie vibe.
- Shredded or flaked coconut. This goes great with banana slices too!
Notes and Tips
- Don’t want to make the whole pie? Whip up the filling, scoop it into jars or fancy glasses, firm in the fridge and serve with whipped cream for a quick and easy dessert.
- For best results, use a kitchen scale to measure the ingredients according to the listed weights.
Pie Crust Options
- Oat Flour and Almond Pie Crust
- Almond and Coconut Flour Chocolate Pie Crust
- Almond Flour and Pecan Crust
- Walnut and Date Crust
- Any pre-baked homemade or store-bought pie crust.
- Use regular graham crackers or vegan graham crackers with 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder if you can’t find chocolate graham crackers.
- Use Oreo cookie crumbs instead of chocolate graham crackers.
The filling is naturally gluten-free so as long as you use a gluten-free pie crust, the pie will be gluten-free.
For a gluten-free pie crust, use the almond flour crust option, a store-bought gluten-free pie crust or make a simple date and nut “crust”. You could also make this a crustless chocolate pie!
Yes. Avocado or vegan cream cheese are suitable substitutes for the tofu in this recipe. The flavour will be a little different though!
No. Soft tofu has a very neutral flavour and is easily masked by the chocolate and maple syrup.
- Store the pie for up to 1 week in the fridge in a sealed container.
- The pie can be frozen for up to 3 months but the texture of the tofu may change a bit after thawing. Thaw in the fridge before serving.
More Vegan Desserts
Ready for more no-bake desserts? Here are some must-try favourites:
- Vegan Key Lime Pie: Light and zesty with an almond flour crust.
- Vegan Pecan Pie Bars: Perfect for fall and winter holidays.
- Vegan Peanut Butter Pie: No-bake peanut butter pie with chocolate crust.
- No-Bake Pecan Pie Tarts: Cute no-bake tarts with just a few ingredients.
- No-Bake Lemon Pie Bars: Tangy lemon bars with a baked crust.
- No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake: Rich, decadent and always a hit!
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review.Print
This vegan chocolate cream pie has the most luxurious, decadent texture but is super easy to make with just 6 ingredients!
For the Chocolate Crust
- 2 cups crushed chocolate graham crackers* (240 g)
- 7 tbsp plant-based butter, melted (100 g)
For the Chocolate Pie
- 1.5 cups vegan chocolate chips (255 g)
- 400 g package of soft tofu
- 3 tbsp non-dairy milk (45 mL)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (75 g)
- pinch of salt, optional
- Crush Graham Crackers: Pulse the graham crackers in a food processor a few times until you have a very fine consistency.
- Mix Crust: In a large bowl, mix together the crushed graham crackers and melted butter until fully combined.
- Press Crust into Pan: In a 9” pie dish, press the graham cracker mixture into the pan. Use a measuring cup and press firmly to get a nice solid crust. Store in the freezer while you prepare the pie filling.
- Melt Chocolate Chips: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave at intervals of 15-seconds, stirring between each, until the chocolate is completely melted. Alternatively, melt chocolate using a double boiler.
- Blend Filling: In a high-speed blender or food processor, add the melted chocolate, tofu, almond milk and maple syrup. Blend until smooth and all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add Filling to Pie: Transfer the pie filling to the prepared crust and spread using a rubber spatula until you have a smooth, even surface. Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to firm up.
- Garnish and Serve: Top with vegan whipped cream and shaved chocolate if desired. Enjoy!
For best results, use a kitchen scale to measure ingredients for accuracy.
*Chocolate Teddy Grahams are vegan or you can use any chocolate graham crackers. If you can’t find chocolate graham crackers, use regular graham crackers plus 2 tbsp cocoa powder. You can also use any pre-baked homemade or store-bought pie crust.
Almond Flour Crust: 1.5 cups almond flour, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 3 tbsp melted plant-based butter or coconut oil. Mix well and press into the pan. See the post above for more pie crust options such as a walnut date crust or oat flour crust.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 424
- Sugar: 33 g
- Sodium: 115 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 51 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: vegan chocolate pie