I don’t even know what to say about these vegan chocolate chip banana muffins. They’re too good. They’re so chocolate-y and almond buttery and just all-around yummy. These could easily be dessert, but honestly I’d eat them any time of day for pure chocolate, banana, almond butter muffin bliss. Anytime, anywhere, baby.
When In Doubt, Add Chocolate Chips
There’s something about chocolate chips in baking, isn’t there? How they stay in place but melt at the same time, making for little chocolate explosion surprises. That combined with the chunks of banana and almond butter, it’s magical. Okayyyyy, things are gettin’ weird over here. I better just get to the recipe before I share too much.
Vegan Baking Is Easier Than You Think!
Oh wait, hold up. Did I mention there are no animal products in these babies! Ya, that’s right! Vegan baking is easy as pie, especially with the help of an egg replacer like ground flax seeds. As for the chocolate chips, I use Enjoy Life Brandbecause they’re soy, dairy and gluten-free.
More options for replacing eggs in baking in this post: Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
I used an organic raw almond butter for these, but any almond butter or other nut butter would be delicious. If you prefer, you can skip the filling and just bake as is, they’d still be yummy, yum, yum. You could also use homemade almond butter to really take these to the next level!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
I wouldn’t say ti’s required to add the almond butter filling to these but did you see the inside of the muffins in the above photo?? Just sayin’…ya, it’s optional but highly recommended. You could also use peanut butter but that might be even more tempting than almond butter so just be careful.
What else? You’re gonna need your baking basics: flour, slat, baking soda, baking powder, you can use your favourite plant-based milk, you’ll need some pure maple syrup or another sweetener if you prefer and of course, the vegan chocolate chips.Print
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Almond Butter Filling
Enjoy these magical, whole wheat, vegan muffins warm from the oven for pure chocolate, almond butter, banana bliss.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 9
- 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted.
- almond butter for filling (optional, any nut or seed butter works)
- Pre-heat over to 400F.
- Mix the flax with the 2 tbsp of water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork then add all all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add the flax mixture, vinegar, maple syrup, almond milk and melted coconut oil.
- Mix until “just mixed.”
- Spoon some batter into 9 lightly oiled muffin tins, filling them about 1/2 full.
- Add a little dollop of almond butter to the middle of each tin.
- Top off each tin with the rest of the batter. Make sure you spread it around to the sides, completely covering the almond butter.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in muffin tray before handling.