Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
These vegan chocolate chips banana muffins are stuffed with almond butter for a delicious, creamy treat with every bite. These muffins could easily be dessert but can be enjoyed as part of a weekend brunch or for a sweet snack anytime.
When In Doubt, Add Chocolate Chips
There’s something about chocolate chips in baking, isn’t there? How they stay in place but melt at the same time, making for little chocolate explosion surprises. That combined with banana and almond butter in these muffins? So good.
For dairy-free chocolate chips, I recommend Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips or Chocolate Morsels. Lily’s also has vegan Dark Chocolate Chips what would work well. If you can’t find any chocolate chips, you can use chopped dark chocolate. I like brands like Alter Eco and Green & Black’s.
Vegan baking is easy as pie, especially with the help of an egg replacer like ground flax seeds. To make a “flax egg,” simply mix ground flaxseed with water and let it sit to form a gel. Flax eggs work well for binding in all kinds of vegan baking recipes. For more options for replacing eggs in baking in this post: Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies.
Below you’ll see how the flax egg looks after it sits and forms a thick gel.
Almond Butter Filling
The almond butter filling is optional but as you can see in the photo below – it adds a most delicious twist to these muffins! You can use any nut or seed butter for the filling. I used almond butter but peanut butter is delicious, as is sunflower seed butter or tahini if you prefer the recipe to be nut-free. You can also skip the filling and just bake as is, they’ll still be delicious.
To make these banana muffins you’ll need baking basics: flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, oil, plant-based milk and sweetener. From there, you’ll need some ripe banana and chocolate chips and you’re all set!
More Baking Recipes
Loving this muffin recipe? You might like these too:
- Applesauce Muffins
- Vegan Apple Oat Protein Muffins
- Vegan Buckwheat Muffins
- Vegan Carrot Muffins
- Vegan Buckwheat Muffins
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Scroll down to the comment section to leave a star rating and review.
Enjoy these magical, whole wheat, vegan muffins warm from the oven for pure chocolate, almond butter, banana bliss.
- 1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 medium-sized ripe banana, mashed (about 110 g)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (white vinegar or lemon juice also works)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (regular-sized is fine too!)
- 6 tbsp nut or seed butter of choice such as almond butter or sunflower seed butter, optional (2 tsp per muffin)
- Pre-heat over to 400 F.
- Whisk the flax together with the 2 tbsp of water in a small dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork until smooth then mix in the flax mixture, vinegar, maple syrup, almond milk and melted coconut oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, along with the chocolate chips and gently fold together until “just mixed.”
- Spoon some batter into 9 lightly oiled muffin tins, filling them about 1/2 full.
- Add a little dollop of almond butter to the middle of each tin (this step is optional).
- Top off each tin with the rest of the batter. Make sure you spread it around to the sides, completely covering the almond butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in muffin tray before handling.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 255
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 189 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 26 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
Keywords: easy, stuffed, whole-wheat, vegan banana muffins, vegan chocolate chip muffins
This recipe was originally published January 30, 2014. It was updated August 2019 with new photos and improved instructions.