No-Bake Chocolate Espresso Brownies
If you’re not a fan of coffee, you might want to move on, this recipe probably isn’t for you. However, if you’re a coffee-lover like me, you’ve come to the right place! These no-bake chocolate espresso brownies will be right up your alley. These brownies are vegan, gluten-free, have no added sugar and are made with wholesome ingredients.
My only tip for making these bars would be to not sample them in the evening, or you might lay tossing and turning when bedtime comes. Ahem…that totally didn’t happen to me.
These have a very strong espresso flavour, they almost taste like chocolate-covered espresso beans. If you prefer a sweeter bar, you could reduce the espresso to 1 tbsp and add 1 tbsp of maple syrup.
You might want to enjoy these bars before lunchtime to prevent any disruption of sleep. Luckily, you can completely get away with eating them for breakfast because they’re made with simple, whole food ingredients.
Espresso For Pre-Workout
These would also make a fantastic pre-workout snack. You’ll get a little energy boost from the caffeine and energizing, clean carbohydrates from the dates.
Plus, the almonds and almond butter provide some protein and essential fatty acids. If you want to use them as a pre-workout energy snack, I would recommend rolling the dough into balls for a quick snack you can just pop and go!
Guess what? You only need 5 basic ingredients to make these, plus vanilla and sea salt which are optional but recommended to enhance the flavour. If you don’t have an espresso maker, you can use strongly brewed coffee in its place. I actually stopped off at Starbucks one day and ordered two shots of espresso just to make these, so there’s always that option!
You will be amazed at how rich, decadent and fudge-like these no-bake brownies are. The chocolate, almond and espresso are amazing together and pure vanilla and sea salt really bring out those flavours.
If you use raw cacao powder, they’ll be chock-full of antioxidants and the dates, almonds and almond butter all add their own host of health benefits.
- Raw Hemp Seed Brownies
- Double Chocolate Raw Vegan Brownies
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Blondies
- Tahini Cacao Fudge Balls
- No-Bake Chocolate Almond Bars
Did you try this recipe?
I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a review and be sure to tag me @runningonrealfood if you post it on social media.
These rich and fudge chocolate brownies are soft but firm, decadent but healthy and everything you want in a dark chocolate, espresso-inspired no-bake vegan brownie.
- 1 1/4 cup (275 g) pitted packed soft, fresh dates
- 1 1/4 (175 g) cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup (120 g) drippy almond butter
- 1/4 cup (30 g) raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp espresso (or very strongly brewed coffee)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional, adds flavour)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional, adds flavour)
- Place almonds in a food processor or high-powered blender and mix until broken down into a grainy flour.
- Add dates and continue to process (if your dates aren’t soft and fresh, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes then drain before using).
- Add almond butter, cocoa, espresso, vanilla and sea salt and process until it forms a thick dough.
- Press dough into a lined loaf pan for thick bars, a square baking pan for a thinner bar, or roll the dough into balls for brownie bites.
- Place in the freezer for at least 3 hours to set.
- Lift out of the pan and and cut into 8 bars.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 326
- Sugar: 24 g
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: espresso brownies, no-bake coffee brownies